Help with unwrapping a hose

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 07 July 2013   #1
Help with unwrapping a hose

Hello folks,

Im making a waterpibe in 3ds max, and i have a problem with unwrapping the hose so i can make a bump map for it in photoshop.

I have made the hose out of a spline and made it so it comes out of the pibe and go one round around the pibe. I have then converted it to a poly.

So my question to u pros is if there is an easy way to get the uvs laid out like straight tube would (a plane like shape)?

-VBR

Old 07 July 2013   #2
Try spline mapping.

Old 07 July 2013   #3
Yes!
This was exactly what i wanted, thank u so much mate u saved my day

Old 07 July 2013   #4
What bump affect are you aiming for?

Old 07 July 2013   #5
I made a gradient pattern with a lot of lines, hoping to get a bulged hose, but I didn't get the effect I was hoping for. My guess is that I can't get a bulged hose using a bump map.

Old 07 July 2013   #6
It should work - I did this recently.

Old 07 July 2013   #7
Originally Posted by vbr2809: I made a gradient pattern with a lot of lines, hoping to get a bulged hose, but I didn't get the effect I was hoping for. My guess is that I can't get a bulged hose using a bump map.

Show us what you got, a rendering and your material, especially the bump map's settings.

Old 07 July 2013   #8
Sure.

Bump map settings

Material settings

Last edited by vbr2809 : 07 July 2013 at 03:28 PM.

Old 07 July 2013   #9
Good work by the way ,

As for the effect your looking to get, you can possibly try scaling the lines in the bump map making them a bit larger to see if it gives it more of that bulging effect your looking for. Either that or the bump may not be enough to get your effect. You can also try using a displacement map, a displacement map does exactly what it says ; displace geometry.

Old 07 July 2013   #10
And here's mine:

Edit - my Gradient Ramp is also inverted in the output options.

Last edited by MisterS : 07 July 2013 at 10:06 PM.

Old 07 July 2013   #11
moneytakea thank you for the positive feedback

MisterS the problem for me is to get the bulged effect outside the geometry. I have tried now with low bump, max bump, scaling the bump map and scaling the UVs. The bump are not showing outside.
The displacement map totally did it tho, that together with the bump map is looking really nice and are exactly what I'm aiming for.
I really appreciate the help

Sadly I had to go to work before the render could finish, so I will have to upload the rendering when I get off from work.

Old 07 July 2013   #12
Yeah the bump won't ever affect the silhouette. I have this piped into displacement too but I didn't really need it so its switched off.

Old 07 July 2013   #13

So here is the render. The hose still has a few mistakes, but its defenetly going in the right direction, just need to play with some settings i guess.

Thanks for the help guys

Old 07 July 2013   #14
Great !

Im really glad you got it working to your satisfaction and that I could be of assistance .

Old 07 July 2013   #15
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread