CGTalk > Technical > Technical and Hardware
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 02-05-2014, 09:28 PM   #1
snickrep
Expert

Will Maya work on my desktop?

I'm a college student and I will be using Maya. Just wondering if the latest version of Maya will run on my PC;

AMD A6-5400K APU 3.6GHz CPU with AMD Radeon HD 7540D graphics
3.5 GB of RAM, 893.8 GB hard drive
Microsoft Windows 8.1

Old 02-07-2014, 12:48 AM   #2
pomru
Expert

Well, looking at the system requirements listed on Autodesk Maya's website, it says:
Quote:
System requirements for Autodesk® Maya® 2014
Maya 2014 is supported on the following 64-bit operating systems and at a minimum requires a system with the following 64-bit hardware:

Windows® 8 Professional edition, Windows® 7 Professional edition, Apple® Mac OS® X 10.7.x or 10.8.x, Red Hat® Enterprise Linux® 6.2 W S, or Fedora™ 14 Linux operating system
64-bit Intel or AMD multi-core processor
4 GB of RAM minimum (8 GB recommended)
2 GB of free disk space for installation
Microsoft® Internet Explorer®, Apple® Safari®, or Mozilla® Firefox® web browser
3-button mouse

It looks like you're going to need more RAM...

Old 02-07-2014, 04:00 AM   #3
tswalk
Expert

portfolio
Troy Walker
USA

and if it only has 3.5GB, you want to verify you have Windows Professional version and not home version or any other dumb Microsoft version below pro... (which is irritating)

Old 02-07-2014, 04:26 AM   #4
snickrep
Expert

I don't know it's just Windows 8.1. 64 edition it says.
Also, should I upgrade to a quad card AMD CPU? Would a 3.4 Quad be faster than my dual 3.8? Also, what is a step up from my integrated video card?

Old 02-07-2014, 09:39 AM   #5
imashination
Expert

portfolio
Matthew ONeill
3D Fluff
United Kingdom

Im not sure why the windows version would make a difference? On windows 7, the home versions were limited to 16 gigs of ram.

Maya will run on your system and it will be fine for learning and doing some work, but if you are looking to do it professionally then it makes sense to upgrade, that system is really only suitable for a home office machine for web browsing and such. the cpu is very underpowered, 4 gigs of ram is the absolute bottom of the barrel and Im assuming half a gig is being lost via sharing to the video chip.

Think of it like this, you can buy cheap, low end DIY tools for fixing stuff around the house, and you know what, theyll work fine. But if you start trying to do daily work with those tools, youll quickly start breaking them and wishing you had something better. Its the same with your machine, it will probably work ok, but for professional use it hardly meets the mark as a basic machine.

Old 02-07-2014, 04:51 PM   #6
snickrep
Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by imashination
Im not sure why the windows version would make a difference? On windows 7, the home versions were limited to 16 gigs of ram.

Maya will run on your system and it will be fine for learning and doing some work, but if you are looking to do it professionally then it makes sense to upgrade, that system is really only suitable for a home office machine for web browsing and such. the cpu is very underpowered, 4 gigs of ram is the absolute bottom of the barrel and Im assuming half a gig is being lost via sharing to the video chip.

Think of it like this, you can buy cheap, low end DIY tools for fixing stuff around the house, and you know what, theyll work fine. But if you start trying to do daily work with those tools, youll quickly start breaking them and wishing you had something better. Its the same with your machine, it will probably work ok, but for professional use it hardly meets the mark as a basic machine.

Thanks for your response. I am a college student so I'm on a budget and I went the refurbished route thinking maybe I could upgrade here and there. I'm hoping I can build the basics of the machine into something a little more decent. Again as you stated I'm learning Maya so really just want something that will run it when I'm not using the workstations on campus. I was going to go ahead and add 8gigs of RAM into it first since that would be the cheapest upgrade. Also, my motherboard supports the following CPU upgrades;

Trinity Dual-Core A4-5300 65 W
Trinity Dual-Core A6-5400K 65 W
Trinity Quad-Core A8-5500 65 W
Trinity Quad-Core A8-5600K 100 W
Trinity Quad-Core A10-5700 65 W
Trinity Quad-Core A10-5800K

And I was wondering if a 3.2GHZ Quad Core CPU would be faster than my current 3.6Ghz Dual Core. Surprisingly, web browsing and basic tasks are fast, and even modern games such as Castlevania (ran pretty fast) and Spec ops: The Line ran pretty good at low/medium settings. The loading for Spec OPS was a bit heavy I'm assuming this has to do with the low RAM. However, I'm not really using this machine for games I just wanted to test the CPU and integrated graphics, which leads to my next question, the integrated AMD Radeon HD 7540D chip. You stated the integrated chip is eating my RAM and it is because I'm actually at 3.5Gigs instead of 4gigs. Some of the higher end video cards are a little expensive. I was wondering if you would suggest a video card around $50-99. I just want something that's at least 512MB or 1GB that doesn't steal any of the main RAM. I've been browsing newegg and Geforce 600 series and Radeon HD 6000/7000 series seem to be my best bet. Would I notice much of a difference compared to my current integrated setup? The quadro/ FirePro cards I know you stated in another thread are more for drivers. I've noticed they are a bit more expensive than Geforce/Radeon lineup. However, maybe they would be more suitable? Also, is it worth upgrading the CPU to a 3.8GHz Dual CORE or say a 3.2GHZ Quad? I know these CPU's are a little outdated, but again I'm on a budget here.

Last edited by snickrep : 02-07-2014 at 05:13 PM.

Old 02-07-2014, 08:16 PM   #7
imashination
Expert

portfolio
Matthew ONeill
3D Fluff
United Kingdom

First, get more ram, 8 gigs should be your minimum and will be ok so long as you dont leave all your apps open with a pile of documents open. Regarding the cpu, stick with what you have until render times become an issue. A dual core chip is fine for working, but a quad core chip would in simple terms, roughly halve how long the renders take, and for $100 it wont break the bank.

Save the gfx card until last, generally Id only upgrade that if you notice youre having problems, you can get away with lower powered gfx chips so long as they run your software reliably.

Old 02-07-2014, 08:16 PM   #8
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread