Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 12-02-2013, 10:49 PM   #16
GreyKiller
portfolio
United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordMcGoat

I'd also take a look into Bolton University. It's not yet on the map as one of the go to places for VFX, but that's because it's young. The course is run by an ex colleague of mine (and fellow Bournemouth alumnus), who is one of the most dedicated teachers that I know, and - dare I say against the grain for VFX lecturers - a very talented VFX artist. Because of that, and the small size of the course...............

I looked into Bolton earlier, the reels they are showing is strong and the size of the course should give some advantage, but there isn't a lot of information available regarding the course (like student experience etc) i mean, I have already emailed some of their lecturers but it's still gonna be a rough decision ~

Old 12-02-2013, 11:12 PM   #17
GreyKiller
portfolio
United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh

You really can't totally judge a school by its reel or the reels of graduates though, in fact I'd advise against ever making any decisions based on reels. I know that all universities like to show off their reels and stuff, but with any course you're going to have good and bad students, and the schools themselves always pick only the best work (there are one or two exceptions to this though; schools like Gobelins and Supinfocom seem to churn out consistently amazing graduates). Similarly, just because someone went to a certain school doesn't mean their work is going to be amazing, just like you can get good students graduating from bad schools; I myself attended a pretty poor quality course way back when I was a student but nevertheless graduated with a decent reel for the time and managed to get work almost immediately... point being that I worked my arse off, spent a lot of my spare time teaching myself and whatnot, and the same applies to everyone else. Still though, when you're forking out a lot of money on your education, you definitely want to choose something that will at least stimulate you and prepare you for the industry; ultimately it's up to you to put in the effort but having good instruction is important too.

I'll track down the guy's email address and PM it to you. Of course their lecturers told you they have connections to studios, their job is to entice students to the course. I said above that you should never make a decision based on reels, and similarly I'd suggest not making decisions based on what lecturers tell you (and that includes lecturers at Bournemouth and elsewhere, not just Herts). What you should do is research the lecturers' experience in the industry (if they actually have any, although I think most of the popular uni courses have at least a few lecturers with *some* experience), and speak to people who are actively working in the industry to get a feel for how well different uni courses have prepared people for their work, whether the uni has a good reputation, etc.

It's impossible for me to say, because only you know how well you learn and at what pace. Some people learn enough to hit the ground running within one year, while others take several years. Something that you really should be aware of however is that the industry is currently in flux, and things are changing month by month, often not for the better. The harsh reality is that it's harder than ever for people to break into the industry, so you really need to be prepared to work extremely hard to produce work that's competitive in an increasingly small job market; I don't think graduates have ever had it so tough. So if ever there was a time for VFX students to really knuckle down and dedicate themselves to their work, it's now.

You have made a LOT of valid points; I felt more enlighten after reading it (If i'm lucky & talented enough, I would love to thank YOU in person haha!) ~ I know I should never judge by reels because at the end of the day, it's the student that has to put in the efforts. But the fact that those non- standard quality work exist kinda reflects on the course and the lecturers's attitude ... Whoever runs the course- don't they question about those qualities? Were they offering a sufficient amount of advice? (If you know what I mean...)

I understand perfectly that it's their job to 'entice' the student; I mean... people can do anything for money these days. What i have been attempting to do is talking to the students, looking at the lectures background etc. ~ I know you probably don't have much respect for Hert but Martin at hert, He has been offering TONS of very useful advice and informations (non-basied) to everyone who's willing to listen ~ I honestly think I would do anything to have him as my lecturer, don't you think that might balance the course? I mean, I will apply for Bournemouth as well! But for some reason my guts are telling hert is the most suitable environment for me~

Old 12-02-2013, 11:25 PM   #18
leigh
blahblah

CGSociety Staff
portfolio
Leigh van der Byl
A cog in the wheel
Hertfordshire, United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyKiller
You have made a LOT of valid points; I felt more enlighten after reading it (If i'm lucky & talented enough, I would love to thank YOU in person haha!) ~ I know I should never judge by reels because at the end of the day, it's the student that has to put in the efforts. But the fact that those non- standard quality work exist kinda reflects on the course and the lecturers's attitude ... Whoever runs the course- don't they question about those qualities? Were they offering a sufficient amount of advice? (If you know what I mean...)

I understand perfectly that it's their job to 'entice' the student; I mean... people can do anything for money these days. What i have been attempting to do is talking to the students, looking at the lectures background etc. ~ I know you probably don't have much respect for Hert but Martin at hert, He has been offering TONS of very useful advice and informations (non-basied) to everyone who's willing to listen ~ I honestly think I would do anything to have him as my lecturer, don't you think that might balance the course? I mean, I will apply for Bournemouth as well! But for some reason my guts are telling hert is the most suitable environment for me~

Well ultimately this is your decision to make, and you should go with whichever school you feel suits your needs. I wouldn't say that I don't have respect for Herts, it's more a case of me not really trusting what I read online about them because of my experiences on this site with their staff. For all I know, the course itself may be great. It also might not. I simply don't know enough people from there, like I mentioned before, to have any kind of opinion on the course itself. All I know is that Bournemouth is consistently the most represented uni in all the big Soho studios. Ask anyone from a Soho studio and they'll tell you the same thing.

Regarding your point about bad reels; speaking as someone who has done occasional teaching in the past, the sad fact is that there are always students in any class who simply make no effort. As such, they graduate with zero skills. Personally I feel students like this should be kicked off the course, but sometimes that's not possible. I'd actually go so far as to say that the majority of students graduating from most courses are simply not cut out for the industry. Success in VFX requires a mixture of artistic skill and technical skill! and not everyone manages to achieve this. I realise that probably sounds a tad elitist but it's true; with most universities, only a small number of graduates are likely to find long term work in the industry, because it's only a small number of people who work hard enough to get there.

Old 12-05-2013, 12:06 AM   #19
GreyKiller
portfolio
United Kingdom

okay I understand, but regardless of which Uni i'm intending to go, I'm prepared to do all the work by myself via the websites etc. So I' guess I should be more interested in the connection that the Uni has with the studios etc. (so you reckon Bournemouth has a better reputation and a strong link with soho? (or the whole VFX industry in general??)

So... do you think that the degree i'm planning to get is too emphasis? or too specific? Should I be going for a more board degree? (i just need you opinion.)

Thanks

Last edited by GreyKiller : 12-06-2013 at 01:12 PM.

Old 12-08-2013, 04:38 PM   #20
GreyKiller
portfolio
United Kingdom

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-

Okay, I'm experiencing another problem.... I can't even begin to explain what I'm feeling. it's been so stressful (I feel that's an understatement) Depression & anxiety is more of an accurate way to describe.

I've been reading a lot of dark and negatives stories about this whole industry; *i still haven't come across a slightly -positive one. I've even read some very discouraging articles consist a lot of negative things. With the under - paid workers, The blacklist, the homeless , the job security is extremely low,and artist having to constantly moving to other countries , or artist are being replaced once reaching to a certain age?, Plus no health care or retirement plan whatsoever... and the constant layoff …. I just fail to see how i'm going to live as a VFX artist. (plus I will be in a huge debt)

The stress is more than I can handle…. and i just don't know what to do anymore... Don't get me wrong though, I wanted to become a VFX artist with all my heart.... but knowing what I could get myself into is unbearable.

I feel like I'm digging myself a hole…. because there won't be any alternative. … once I graduated with a degree in VFX, it won't change into anything else… Even if I apply, I might not get in to a decent University; I think it's safe to say there are a LOT of courses in the UK that aren't worth doing ~ AT ALL (The money/time/ will be a total waste)

The deadline is very soon.... everyone around me has already applied to some fancy/business & science degree whilst I'm struggling awfully! It's almost too late to change ... b/c I will have to change EVERYThing including my statement, all my options, just everything.....

Again.... I need some advice ... I always put myself in terrible positions .
Thank you everyone.

Old 12-08-2013, 07:22 PM   #21
leigh
blahblah

CGSociety Staff
portfolio
Leigh van der Byl
A cog in the wheel
Hertfordshire, United Kingdom

Honestly, if just the thought alone of all this stuff is stressing you out this much, then no, don't go into VFX. Go get a pen-pushing job in a government office, because that's about the only stable field of work in this day and age.

Old 12-08-2013, 08:59 PM   #22
GreyKiller
portfolio
United Kingdom

Look, i just don't have anyone I could turn to for advice. Since I'm not a professional, I have no idea what the state of the industry is really like, that's why I would be very grateful if you could help.

Old 12-09-2013, 12:36 AM   #23
Meloncov
Expert

portfolio
Kevin Baker
Freelance Modeller
Oakland, USA

Keep in mind that people don't tend to post about it when things are going smoothly. Working in VFX, you absolutely will get laid off repeatedly, but if you budget and save appropriately, that's really not the end of the world. Likewise, you're gonna have to budget for your own healthcare (be thankful you're in the UK for that one) and retirement. It is absolutely a tough industry (and part of the reason why I've geared myself towards games in the last year is that the games industry is at least very slightly more stable), but it's not like you're condemning yourself to a life of poverty either.

Old 12-09-2013, 12:36 AM   #24
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread