Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 05-17-2013, 01:42 AM   #16
ScientiaViz
PRO

portfolio
Arik Thuesen
USA

Interesting. Might just be one that slipped through. Count on me to get it
I hope we are the beneficiaries of much more of your "self-serving" behavior, Nick
Also, thanks for letting us see the script. Lots of good coding info to learn from in that, too.
-A

Old 05-19-2013, 03:16 AM   #17
jayse
dirty
portfolio
Jayse Hansen
Freelancer
www.jayse.us
Las Vegas, USA

Send a message via AIM to jayse
This is awesome Nick! Great work! Huge thanks for sharing!

Old 05-19-2013, 05:21 PM   #18
skydistortion
Frequenter
Samy
///
Bruxelles, Belgium

Very interesting thks.

Old 11-05-2013, 10:45 PM   #19
natevplas
portfolio
Nate VP
Grand Rapids, USA

Not working...

This looks like just what I need, but it's not working for me unfortunately. I downloaded the script (NeuronBuild_1.6.py) into my Cinema scripts folder. I opened the Script Manager and loaded the script, but when I click "Execute" nothing happens. I'm brand new to Python scripts, so I'm guessing it's user error, but not sure what I'm missing. Any help would be much appreciated.

Old 11-06-2013, 10:00 AM   #20
der Komtur
Stephan Dreßler
Graphican
Trier, Germany

Send a message via ICQ to der Komtur
RMB-Saving ist just HTML-Code - not the script!
Goto the Script and copy line 1 - 464.
Inside c4d: script -> script manager
create a new (empty) script, paste line 1 - 464 and execute.
The Import dialog will appear.

But you shold use version 1.5, not 1.6,

Last edited by der Komtur : 11-06-2013 at 10:07 AM.

Old 11-06-2013, 02:38 PM   #21
NWoolridge
Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by der Komtur
RMB-Saving ist just HTML-Code - not the script!
Goto the Script and copy line 1 - 464.
Inside c4d: script -> script manager
create a new (empty) script, paste line 1 - 464 and execute.
The Import dialog will appear.

But you shold use version 1.5, not 1.6,

Yes, as the original author of the script, I should pipe up and say that version 1.5 is the currently working version of the script. 1.6 is a currently incomplete attempt to refactor the script to improve it, and make it compatible with uPy, a framework from Graham Johnson and Ludovic Autin that allows molecular/bio scripts to run in more than one app by abstracting application specific features.

So, use 1.5!

Old 11-06-2013, 02:53 PM   #22
natevplas
portfolio
Nate VP
Grand Rapids, USA

Thanks both of you! Yes, this works! Very cool. I am trying to create an animation of the neuron "firing" with little glowing lights traveling down the tendrils. I know the proximal shader will work great for that, but any suggestions for a workflow? Especially if I want to duplicate this guy and connect 2 or 3 of them?
Thanks,
Nate

Old 11-06-2013, 04:38 PM   #23
NWoolridge
Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by natevplas
Thanks both of you! Yes, this works! Very cool. I am trying to create an animation of the neuron "firing" with little glowing lights traveling down the tendrils. I know the proximal shader will work great for that, but any suggestions for a workflow? Especially if I want to duplicate this guy and connect 2 or 3 of them?
Thanks,
Nate

There are a few standard approaches, depending upon how you want the impulses to appear (and you could create your own approach...). You can use the axon splines created by the script to guide an "impulse object" along the structure (using an align-to-spline tag). That object could trigger the proximal shader in a material on the neuron object, but proximal can be slow to evaluate.

Another approach would be to use a visible light animated along the spline, and set its "glow" to be large enough to extend past the geometry.

Or, you could use a light animated along the spline (with or without visibility), and put a texture on the neuron with the Backlight shader enabled in the luminance channel. this will create the "glow on the surface" you get with the proximal shader, but will probably render much faster...

Old 11-06-2013, 06:16 PM   #24
natevplas
portfolio
Nate VP
Grand Rapids, USA

Thanks NWoolridge! This is very helpful. I've attached a scene file if you want to take a look.
I tried what you said with the Backlight shader and I couldn't get it to work. I tried messing with the light settings, etc. with no luck. The Proximal Shader seems to render pretty fast. One issue I'm having is when I try to clone the whole thing into a massive web of neurons, proximal stops working all together. If I have to I'll just duplicate it and place the copies manually.
I decided to use a Cloner in object mode to place the light on the splines. This works, although I think I need to simplify the splines for this because the movement is very jerky with the highly-detailed splines. The really short ones also cause problems...
Attached Files
File Type: zip Neurons_Firing_v2.c4d.zip (217.2 KB, 55 views)

Last edited by natevplas : 11-06-2013 at 06:25 PM.

Old 11-06-2013, 06:32 PM   #25
NWoolridge
Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by natevplas
Thanks NWoolridge! This is very helpful. I've attached a scene file if you want to take a look.
I tried what you said with the Backlight shader and I couldn't get it to work. I tried messing with the light settings, etc. with no luck. The Proximal Shader seems to render pretty fast. One issue I'm having is when I try to clone the whole thing into a massive web of neurons, proximal stops working all together. If I have to I'll just duplicate it and place the copies manually.
I decided to use a Cloner in object mode to place the light on the splines. This works, although I think I need to simplify the splines for this because the movement is very jerky with the highly-detailed splines. The really short ones also cause problems...

That's a great result! I love the "heat-like" look of the impulses. If proximal works, that's great... Maybe they've sped it up, or it works in this situation well (come to think of it, the times I've noticed that it is slow occur when it has to evaluate a complex mesh as the proximal object; here it is just the point position of lights...).

It may be that the cloned neurone are all looking to the original set of lights, rather than the cloned copies, so the proximal doesn't work. Maybe try making one composite spline of all the axons/dendrites to drive the cloned lights...

Best, Nick

Old 11-06-2013, 06:40 PM   #26
NWoolridge
Expert

Also, one thing about using the splines as animation guides: the varying lengths and number of points in the splines will create a situation where some impulses will animate slowly (on short spline segments) and some will animate quickly (on long spline segments). This isn't physiologically accurate, so in some circumstances you may want to do some joining or splitting of the original splines or spline segments to more or less equalize their length.

This is probably not an issue in many cases if you are just trying to convey a general impression of neuronal activity...

Old 11-07-2013, 04:43 PM   #27
natevplas
portfolio
Nate VP
Grand Rapids, USA

Thanks, yeah I noticed the speed problems. That was going to be my next step. I've been working on the Material and attached a still. I added some Subsurface Scattering and Ambient Occlusion. Off-topic question- does anyone know how to bake the SS with the Color channel and AO? I tried using "Bake Texture" but the image it spits out doesn't map properly to the model. Any tips? Just to be clear, I don't want to bake the Proximal Shader since I'm going to randomize this on different copies of the neuron. I was planning to have that add/screen on top of the luminance from the baked SS.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Neuron_Textured.jpg (77.7 KB, 54 views)

Old 11-07-2013, 04:43 PM   #28
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread