CGTalk > WIP > WIP/Critique: 3D
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Old 03-04-2013, 08:20 PM   #16
Artur Tarnowski

Yeah, it's been rejected in the 3D Stills gallery, not cg award ...
Old 03-04-2013, 09:26 PM   #17
Daddy x 4
CGSociety Member
Wyatt Harris
Baton Rouge, USA
Okay, I also thought this was a simple misunderstanding about the stills vs. choice gallery. Why was this rejected from the 3D-stills gallery?

This is good work Rox, I don't know what to say other than that.
HMC: Model Collection
WIP: Harris Nut House
WIP: WarCraft Troll Dig it!
Old 03-05-2013, 02:57 AM   #18
Matt Morris
Kington St. Michael, United Kingdom
Stunning work, no idea why that would get rejected. The eyes have got a lot of life to them.
Old 03-05-2013, 08:08 PM   #19
Spam on can
Robert Kuroto
Brastad, Sweden
I believe the main reason it got rejected was because of the black background. I've seen many works being rejected because of that. People often tend to not think about the background or care much about it and just slap something together quickly to get it over with.
Create a bit more interesting background, also the last pic you've added a bit too much blue hue for my taste. I'd suggest tone it down a bit.

EDIT: With portraits it's always going to be very tough to try and get into the gallery. Composition, lighting and background is what plays the bigger roles I would guess (can't say for sure, not sitting on the team). And composition with portraits is quite hard.
3D blog

Last edited by Seijiro : 03-05-2013 at 08:22 PM.
Old 03-06-2013, 06:50 PM   #20
Luc Bégin
Infographiste 3d.
Montreal, Canada

I think technically it's cool, but the compositing and lighting is not doing it, and that's why it's refused. Also I would add hairs, or a hat or something, he look unfinished because of that. I know there is bald people , but the too much round shape of the head make it look fake.

For the lighting and comp, everything is blue, blue shirt, kind of blue eyes, with blue light and black and blue bg, it's kind of dark and it's not an interesting lighting to me. I think it's the biggest point why it did not get into the gallery, the comp and lighting should be upgraded.
Also Avaliable for freelance.

Website here:

Last edited by bigguns : 03-08-2013 at 01:22 AM.
Old 03-09-2013, 11:48 PM   #21
. .
Berlin, Germany
very good work.

the cloth-material is fantastic! All the details.... How did you do that? Was the shirt sculpted or is it some kind of displacement shader?
Old 03-21-2013, 03:06 PM   #22
Christopher Brändström
Senior Character Artist, Concept Artist

To be honest I don't either get why this hasn't been approved for the 3D-stills gallery. This image is simply excellent in so many ways. I've had a couple pieces that hasn't been approved here either for the 3D-stills Gallery (Not CG Choice Gallery) which I thought would pass with flying colors. They've been top row on other sites so why not even approved here? I know it's frustrating and there's no real consistency in how they approve an image (it seems very random to me) but I wouldn't let it bother you. To most people the quality of your image screams pro!
I also get why people think you might need to add a hat or hair, but you shouldn't have to do that. If you want to make a bald guy then that is up to you. You shouldn't have to make an image the way someone else want's you to make an image just for them to maybe approve it. Maybe it doesn't have enough unicorns? If that is the case then where do you draw the line? "If you make the characters bag in your image green instead of red it'll be approved". That's not right. However, it is of course up to them to decide which images get added to which gallery, it is after all their forum.
Just my thoughts on the matter...
Christopher Brändström
Old 03-21-2013, 04:42 PM   #23
Digital Explorer
Stanislaw Menschow
3D Artist / Developer
Brussels, Belgium
Wow seriously, this got rejected?
This is high quality work, better than many other pieces in 3D Stills.
I would really like to hear the reason why this got rejected ... it can't be the technical quality, that's for sure. And to be honest, I think the image looks great as it is, I wouldn't want to change the colors just to have more colors.
Passion is the key.
Miysis 3D
Old 03-21-2013, 09:55 PM   #24
Wesley Griffith
Environment Artist
This is absolutely stunning work!
Environment Artist Adhesive Games on Hawken

Looking for 3d modeling work in film/tv.

Modeling Reel

Old 03-21-2013, 09:56 PM   #25
Kris Kelly
Character Artist
Savannah College of Art and Design
Los Angeles, USA

I had the same thing happen to me on a portrait I sent them. I didn't seriously expect CGChoice Award, but not getting it in 3D Stills blew my mind.

Its the Idris Elba Portrait, you can see here;

What I've learned, stick to blondes with big b@@bs.
Old 03-21-2013, 09:56 PM   #26
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.
CGTalk Policy/Legalities
Note that as CGTalk Members, you agree to the terms and conditions of using this website.
Thread Closed share thread