3d artist | animator

portfolio
Andre Venter
Online digital designer, 3D Artist and Animator
Junction
Cape Town, South Africa

Ambient Occlusion in Mirror Reflection

Hi

I need some advice please. I took a videoclip of my dining table that I camera tracked with matchmover to add a robot animation on the table surface in Maya. What I did not take into account was the mirror on the wall behind the table, so this increased the technicality of this project as it now need to reflect the robot in the mirror to be believable.

I created two planes both assigned seperate useBackground shaders, one matching the table surface and one matching the wall mirror. Both catches the character reflection perfectly as planned but the mirror is missing the shadows and most importantly - ambient occlusion, so the character does not seem "connected" to the table in the mirror reflection.

Just to add - I don't have a seperate layer for AO as I added it to the MR passes directly, and I did tick "reflections" in the attributes of this AO contribution pass. The AO works perfect for the character on the table plane.

I think one issue contributing to my problem is that I turned of "cast reflection" on the table surface plane, but when it was on it just reflected a black plane onto the "wall mirror" plane.

What would the best method be to cast a reflection of the AO in the "mirror" plane? Does this need to be tricked somehow as my logic tells me this can't be done at rendertime.

Any help would be appreciated

Last edited by AndreV : 02-16-2013 at 04:53 PM.

Old 02-16-2013, 04:36 PM   #2
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread