weights painting problem

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

02 February 2018
weights painting problem

HelloI am working on my school project, and i have some problem with weights.When i am in painting mode, and i am working on locked layers, every time when i am done with one part, and coming back to it after it changing all the time. taking weights from all around, `i have no idea how to do it correctly, because right now when i am changing something everything else is destroyed.Do you have any idea how to resolve that problem?There is my scane, if someone have time, and could take a look at that:
https://we.tl/t3kL7r6T4o

03 March 2018
This is very common, first try not to lock all the weights on the skin cluster, unlock all, and change one thing on the skin cluster, the wight distribution, from distance, to neightbors. this should greatly improve your experience with the skin cluster.
the weight distribution defines who will take the weight of a vertex when you smooth the borders of the influence area, this will make easier to predict how the skin cluster will work. insted of asigning weights base on distance to joints(default option Distance) it will use neightbor vertices weights influeces to distribute the weight.

If you decide to go with the locking joints, just try to make sure that only two joints are unlock at the same time, so you can predict who gains the weight that you remove from your joint while painting.

03 March 2018
Maya's paint skin weights tool tends to throw influences far from where you might want them. @danielkenobi's advise sounds wise. I usually combat this by only working with 2 joints unlocked at a time. If you work with more than two unlocked try to only use Replace and Add operations for the most part because when using Subtract and Smooth with multiple joints unlocked you can't control where Maya will put the influence. It can take some time to get the workflow down. You have to really keep track of what is unlocked.

Rooster Teeth has a quick tutorial that may help you:https://vimeo.com/214515084

Also, a nice tool for skinning is NG skinning tools (https://www.ngskintools.com/ ) free for personal use. It uses a layer based method. There's a learning curve here too.

03 March 2018
Also as a side tip, turn off max influence to off. By default, it is on.
It always causes weird weighting on my end despite followign the workflow set above.

03 March 2018
I always use post weighting instead of interactive. Yes you have to paint the white out from one main layer but at least you know where it comes/goes.

reply share thread