Ambitious scene 2 The Eagle

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

09 September 2013
Hey man,

Glad to see that you've kept working on this over the past year! Its really coming along.

Could you post a few wireframe renders of your base mesh and with the feathers? Have you tired making any raytraced renders yet?

The inside of the mouth could use a little detail, and you might want to look at using a sculpting program to make a displacement map for the feet.

http://www.thefeaturedcreature.drea...2012/10/227.jpg

-AJ

09 September 2013
Ok here are the wire frames they really have not changed. as for the feathers, each feather is a alpha poly plane so they don't really have wire frames. I have not raytraced or done any real rendering work with it yet, as I still am working on poses, scenery, lighting and all that fun stuff. These are all just basic mental ray renders. The Feet actually do have a normal map on them produced by Zbrush.

As for the inside of the mouth, their is a tongue in there but the angle prevents from seeing it. and I don't know how much of the of the inside will be seen in the end.

09 September 2013
Normal on feet.

09 September 2013
Are you trying to produce a full, photo realistic, animated scene with your eagle? At high definition?

It might help to do a few raytrace test with the transparency on the feathers to make sure everything is covered ok. The feathers seem to lock together pretty closely on the real birds.

It would be neat to have the feet all detailed up, but I'm not sure how close they will be shown in your final piece.

http://pixdaus.com/files/items/pics...309e1_large.jpg

09 September 2013
It's not going to be photo-realistic for a couple reasons. First everything is hand painted (No feather textures were used at all) and I kinda like that painted look feel to it (in fact I am really been inspired recently by the painted textures of the game dishonored). Second I am more of a model guy, which means I do textures enough to make something look nice a polished. but I am diffidently feel that I am not at the level to push something to full extreme photo realism at this time.

Also I have it rigged well enough to pose and do what I need to. but I am still an amateur rigger, and I have already discovered I don't really like animating things. So no not an animation.

Because the feathers are poly plane alphas they do have gaps and if you do look close enough and at the right angle you would see them. It is the same method they put hair/fur/feathers on video game characters. Its not the best method but its also the one I am most familiar with. Their really is not a whole lot I can do except maybe try another method or add more feathers, but thier is already 30,000 poly's worth of feathers as is, with every feather except the main wing feathers being a single poly.

I think I will work on the feat a little more. Intereting right now I am working on a snake (bush viper to be exact) that I am thinking of putting in one of the talons of the eagles and hoping to have that posted up shortly.

10 October 2013
Where I am at.

Eagles are posed and rendered. Snake is finished and backgrounds are painted.

Some notes: I decided to just paint my own backgrounds in photoshop without worrying about rendering or building additional 3d models. Personally I feel good about my choice so far.

Ad for the eagles themselves this is the first time I have not done any photoshop touching up. (I think I am getting better with this rendering and lighting stuff).

Anyway I feel really good about it. So tell me what you think?

10 October 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread