exporting then encoding in media encoder

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

05 May 2013
exporting then encoding in media encoder

I don't have the greatest camera(a Kodak zi8 pocket camera), but I am recording in 59.94fps 1280x720 and the camera encodes them in h264 mov files. So I make my project in after effects, then export mov files using jpeg with audio. I get a file about 2.8 GB. Then I open it up in adobe media encoder, select custom, h264 mov, progressive, maximum bit, aac audio, square 1:1 pixels, 59.94fps, and I think that's it. The size is pretty small, about 19mb, but the quality is just terrible. Isn't it pretty much double encoding the file with h264 since the original file was also h264? What would be my best settings for size/quality? I want something probably under 200mb. It could be higher maybe. These videos are for YouTube, if that matters.

Last edited by microzee : 05 May 2013 at 01:08 AM.

05 May 2013
Generally speaking, it's advisable to render uncompressed or lossless files from After Effects, and perform "delivery" compression with a third party application like Media Encoder.

So render to Uncompressed Quicktime or AVI, then pull that file into Media Encoder and use the YouTube 1280x720 preset.

Alternatively, you could manually set up Meda Encoder to use h.264, 1280x720, maybe at 15Mbps or so. This should give a clean result, but I believe the YouTube preset creates a file that isn't recompressed by YouTube once it's uploaded.

05 May 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread