Straight UV's hassles

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

02 February 2013
Straight UV's hassles

I can get a good uv out, say something like the image below for a van frame. It's a low poly van (300 tris)

I used headus, Zbrush, and Maya, and got all similar results. The problem is I can't get something to work with in Photoshop.

I need straight lines to make decals and non distorted straight images on the van.

Is there an easy way to go about this? I have used scripts for straightening but they mess the UVs up so much that I can't work with them(ie uvs being compacted to the point you can't see faces)
Attached Images
File Type: png uv van.png (58.4 KB, 20 views)

02 February 2013
I maybe do not fully understand your problem, but for an object like a van why not use automatic mapping to get clean planar projections from every orthogonal side? Your mapping looks like a uv shell of an anamorphic thing like a head or an animal, not a car, machine or in your case a van As long as your texels do not run parallel to the u and v axis you will get a headache trying to paint straight lines in your image editor.

02 February 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread