Help with cutting a circle shape out of my geometry?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

02 February 2013
Smile Help with cutting a circle shape out of my geometry?

Im not quiet to sure how to go about making a whole where it needs to be for my dog tag a simple project I'm doing to help further my skills in 3ds max.

Below is the image silhouette I created in Photoshop, I'm trying to replicate it now in 3ds max.

Idea 07 is the one im looking at.

And the above picture is what I've got so far, its actually being smoothed in that picture but this model was actually designed from a box. With turboSmooth applied not collapsed yet. I dont want to move on until I know more. Please help thanks in advance my friends

02 February 2013
you can do it in several ways..but for the model you used
I think the easier is to use boolean..
so check this short tutorial here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuB1jFiyREQ

or here :
http://www.3dworld-wide.com/boolean_box.html

good luck!

02 February 2013
Like elado mentioned, you can do this in multiple ways.
If this is actually what your model looks like (that is to say, this is the model without sub-d), then yes, I'd say to a boolean. Otherwise, there may be better ways to do it.

02 February 2013
You should check out the dozer tutorial from eat3D I think. Covers this and would be helpful all around.

02 February 2013
An alternative would be to turn off your TSmooth and select a few polys close to where you want the hole - use cut where you need it to make a better area of polys to work with. Once you've done that, simplify the area by removing excess lines/points inside these polys (if you have more than one), so that you have one relatively closely shaped poly to the hole you want (keep moving the points until it looks about right, but make it a bit bigger than the hole). After this, do an inset on the poly you want to become the hole for the chain and delete the new poly it makes inside - do this on both sides and extrude the borders together and weld them inside the body of the dog tag. Pretty primitive way to do it, but your TSmooth will iron out the rest.

*Remember*
Keep using your TSmooth to see what your result looks like along the way as your moving the points around - if you're doing it right you should only need 4 points to make your elipse.

02 February 2013
Turn off turbosmooth. Select a couple of polys on either side of the frame (front and back). Bridge them. That will make a rectangular hole through the middle. Turn turbosmooth back on. Rounded hole. You may need to adjust the low poly shape to reflect the rounded hole more closely, or select a few more polys. I'm not sure how dense the low res geometry is.

02 February 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread