Mass Effect dock scene

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

12 December 2012
Mass Effect dock scene

CURRENT STATE

I love the Mass Effect series and I wanted to do something really cool based on that world. I loved every time you arrived at a new planet how you could see the Normandy docking. So that is where I got the idea from. It's going to be a short animation.

Here is my current state. I just realized now that I was working on on of the engine/wings that my scale for the ship is way off, needs to be significantly bigger.

www.pixelsinthemaking.com
My Blog
My reel

Last edited by David-J : 02 February 2013 at 08:30 PM.

12 December 2012
Here is more progress. Worked more on the ship. Added more catwalks and elements to add scale. Still the scale is off but working on it.

My Blog
My reel

12 December 2012
I like it so far, The Normandy looks cool.

12 December 2012
I never played any of the Mass Effect games, so I don't know how this compares to the source material, but going purely on its merits as a scifi scene, I think this is off to a good start. Is this the angle you're planning on rendering from? Personally I feel that a lower POV combined with a slightly wider angle could have a more epic feel to it. I feel scale is a very important factor in scifi imagery like this, and when you bring your camera down to human eye level and widen the FOV, it brings the viewer into the scene and enhances the sense of scale to one of far greater grandeur.

01 January 2013
@ Miked08 - Thanks!

@ leigh - Thanks for the comments leigh. Great suggestions I played with the FOV and lowered the camera to put it more at human level. It definitely adds more epicness to it. Now that I have a lot of the modeling almost done I decided to do a small animation but this will be the hero angle.

My Blog
My reel

01 January 2013
Yeah that's definitely a cooler POV! It puts the viewer into the scene more easily, and enhances the sense of scale. Looking forward to your future updates.

02 February 2013
I'm not much of an expert on animation, but I do feel your cut to the inside of the dock area happens at a slightly odd time. Also, slow things down. When things move quickly, they give the impression of being small. This is a big ship - make it move slowly so that people feel the mass of the vehicle. The Star Wars films have a couple of great docking scenes in them. You might want to check those out as some inspiration.

By the way, those other angles you posted are shaping up well and the scale of the ship looks good now. I like the texture work you've done on the panels so far; there's some nice subtle variation and detailing there. Pyke mentioned earlier putting in details to help sell the sense of scale though, and I do think your environment would benefit a lot from that. Putting in stuff like scaffolds and greebling really helps to sell the scale, plus it also makes everything look more interesting. Remember that image I posted earlier of the Japanese Kibo module? Notice how all the panels have these cool little handles and bolts and stuff. It'd be worth considering adding that level of detailing to your scene too.

I think for all your continuing work on this WIP you deserve some time on the front page for this week's WIP of the Week. Enjoy.

02 February 2013
Really cool! The scale really helps, and is looking much more balanced.

I think that you need to slow the animation riiiiiiiiiiiiiiight doooooooooown....
If you watch some of the older Star Trek movies, they always have those like 5 minute sequences of beauty shots of the ship.
You should also really break up the shots into smaller ones, showing off the different angles. This also helps in being able to 'light per shot'.

I downloaded some models from the Sketchup Warehouse, and built a super low poly scene similar to yours, and did some cool camera moves. Perhaps something like this could show off your scene and its detail to its fullest?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNUk...eature=youtu.be

In retrospect, I may have been a little TOO slow, but you get the idea.

02 February 2013
Really loving how this project is coming along. Just wanted to add one thing I thought could be really good for your animation. I think the kind of animation Pyke suggested looks really good and when it goes by the camera it would be awesome to see a close up of the "Normandy" logo on the side of the ship as it goes by, as you can't see it in the current render.

Looking forward to more

02 February 2013
Yay front page!

You already know my crits for this, David. It's shaping up really well. Maybe you could add an exit from the platform on the right, it seems an awfully long walk for the pilot to leave the hangar. I think there's a break in the wall right now, maybe make that a platform/elevator.

My Blog

Thread Closed share thread