XP 4, open VDB and Redshift?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

5 Days Ago
XP 4, open VDB and Redshift?

Sorry to be so dense, but how do you render an open vdb from xparticles in redshift?

I assume I use an rsVolume material using "density" in scatter and "temperature" in temperature?
Where does that material tag go? On the Xplosia FX object or on an OVDB mesher?

I can't seem to get anything to render.

I added a light and set it's contribution scale to 1 thinking that was the problem, but no.

I'm a big read the manual kind of advocate, but i'm not finding this info in the manual or the video tutorials from Insydium.

Thanks

5 Days Ago
The shader goes on the Redshift Volume. Then I opened the Redshift shader and in the Scatter dropdown, I put the word 'density' in the Channel. Changed the tint to a grey color. Lower down on the Emission dropdown, I put the word 'heat' in the Channel. Changed the tint to an orange color and moved the Emission Remap Ramp to a setting I liked. That's it how I got it to work.. Good luck. The OVDB I used was with all the defaults when I cached it
Mark

5 Days Ago
^ Beat me to it.

There are two types of VDBs:
- Signed Distance Fields (SDFs) which are used for storing solid meshes (like liquid surfaces) that have an inside and an outside. This is the kind that theOVDB mesher works with.
- Fog Volumes (smoke, fire, etc. ) this is the kind Xplosia generates when used with the Cache object.

5 Days Ago
Oh, and one more thing I did. The Redshift documentation said that the light source must have the Contribution Scale set to 1.0 under the Volume tag.

Mark

5 Days Ago
I used a dome light - but switched off 'enable background' - to leave me with a back bg, and left the tint in the RS Volume material at white.

I think the emission channel is typically labeled 'temperature'. I don't think the vdb'd that Luke posted in the other thread included a a temperature channel (correct me if I'm wrong Luke), but if you wanted to fake it you can enter 'density' into the emission channel as well and map that - typically to a black -red-yellow-white gradient.

Last edited by Mike Abbott : 5 Days Ago at 09:55 PM.

5 Days Ago
Originally Posted by lopatkam: The shader goes on the Redshift Volume. Then I opened the Redshift shader and in the Scatter dropdown, I put the word 'density' in the Channel. Changed the tint to a grey color. Lower down on the Emission dropdown, I put the word 'heat' in the Channel. Changed the tint to an orange color and moved the Emission Remap Ramp to a setting I liked. That's it how I got it to work.. Good luck. The OVDB I used was with all the defaults when I cached it
Mark
ahhhh....that's what I was missing. I didn't realize I needed to add a Redshift Volume. Thanks!

5 Days Ago
Originally Posted by Mike Abbott: I think the emission channel is typically labeled 'temperature'. I don't think the vdb'd that Luke posted in the other thread included a a temperature channel (correct me if I'm wrong Luke), but if you wanted to fake it you can enter 'density' into the emission channel as well and map that - typically to a black -red-yellow-white gradient.

100% correct. I wasn't desiring an emission channel, so I decided not to cache it to save on space.

reply share thread