ProRender Tips

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

10 October 2017
when they announced it as not yet production ready i thought it's just missing stuff like AOVs, being able to render hair, volumetrics, caustics, stuff like that. but releasing a render engine that's practically unusable in it's current state really puzzles me. it's kinda like saying here's something for you to practice how to ride a bicycle and giving you just a frame without wheels or even a saddle. learning should be fun, and waiting a whole day for a simple noise free render just isn't. the fact alone that there's not a single tutorial on cineversity about prorender up to now is really suspicious.

what puzzles me even more is that users are so quiet about it. before every release there's some sort of rant-competition going on in forums, but now that r19 is released and there's actually something to be vocal about... well... silence, at least almost. i've always defended maxons decisions and told myself that they probably know exactly what they are doing and why they are doing it that way. but for prorender i really have no explanation. maybe i'm just too stupid to use prorender properly, but i've not seen a single render yet by any user made with prorender, and it's been over a month now. not here, not on any other forum, not on twitter, not on facebook. if anyone out there made some renders with prorender, please show them and tell us about the render times and your experience with it.

10 October 2017
I share the same sentiments about it, however, I am in the midst of learning Cycles4D. I recently switched my C4D work to a decent mid-grade PC with a GTX 1070 card. I know that is not a high-end setup, but it's been enough to let me see what is in store for the future and I'm really enjoying Cycles thus far. I've only run into one issue, and it has to do with getting reverse AO (pointiness shader) working.

That being said, I know I'm knew to GPU rendering, but ProRender thus far has left me thinking I won't be using it at all until it's "production ready".

10 October 2017
Originally Posted by everfresh: the fact alone that there's not a single tutorial on cineversity about prorender up to now is really suspicious.
Rick Barrett posted a Quick Tips video on Cineversity last month that is very helpful

10 October 2017
Originally Posted by LonChaney: Rick Barrett posted a Quick Tips video on Cineversity last month that is very helpful
did it help you getting acceptable render times with prorender?

10 October 2017
Originally Posted by everfresh: did it help you getting acceptable render times with prorender?
NO... it was about what NOT TO DO in ProRender... it basically highlighted the flaws of ProRender and why it shouldn't have been released.

10 October 2017
Originally Posted by helluvapixel: NO... it was about what NOT TO DO in ProRender... it basically highlighted the flaws of ProRender and why it shouldn't have been released.
i know... the question was more of an ironic nature

10 October 2017
Hi,

so its down to my previous question. How often will the integration of prorender in c4d get an update...for example like these :https://pro.radeon.com/en/latest-ra...ed-performance/

i am fine with the new prorender, if we will get updates over the lifespan of r19. ..but actually i do not believe in that and will stick to redshift while thinking about my msa....

bye

10 October 2017
By now I feel it's become painfully clear that ProRender in its current alpha/beta state was included in R19 to bulk up the new features page, if for nothing else. Maxon admits PR is "tomorrow's technology", and my own testing and comparing with Blender's implementation tell me it is not yet ready for any type of rendering - including stills. Too much is missing, and performance is strangely far behind Blender's ProRender - which is no Speedy Gonzales either.

It will take at least two releases to become semi-production ready, in my view. Next v20 will probably have material nodes, and by v21 integration will be complete. Rome wasn't built in a day.

But yes, the list of new features without ProRender is kinda short. Lots of under the hood tinkering, which is good and necessary - but not very attractive to existing users to update for. At least the inclusion of ProRender seems to have appeased possible nay-sayers in regards to this update and value for money.

10 October 2017
^^ exactly the way i see it. also a complete failure in terms of marketing strategy. that's not how you gain trust in your product. and the term "tormorrows technology" is usually used to describe something that's ahead of it's time, not the other way around. i'm sorry, i'm usually not the guy for rants and negativity, but i feel a bit ripped off and mislead here. i would have preferred brutal honesty instead.

10 October 2017
Originally Posted by cpt-elektro: Hi,

so its down to my previous question. How often will the integration of prorender in c4d get an update...for example like these :https://pro.radeon.com/en/latest-ra...ed-performance/

i am fine with the new prorender, if we will get updates over the lifespan of r19. ..but actually i do not believe in that and will stick to redshift while thinking about my msa....

bye

How is going Redshift support for C4D. Anything important missing?

10 October 2017
Originally Posted by Bullit: How is going Redshift support for C4D. Anything important missing?
Hi,
i think, that all the important stuff is available. At least for the type of work i do (semy-realistic-short films). Redshift is super fast, mostly stable, the quality is amazing and the devs are very active on the forums. There are regular updates and bug fixes every few weeks. i started with the alpha last year and the plugin for cinema made huge steps forward since then. The one thing i miss is volume noise and proper editorrendering ( i mostly have to use quick-shading) . But the devs say that they are on it.

Redshift needs some work to figure out the best sample settings though. Prorender seems very easy to use in comparison and i hope it will get some love in the future.

bye e

2 Weeks Ago
...and still no update... ...frustrating...

reply share thread