S.S. Pangia - Mothership - Ocean Byrne - Thrust Challenge, Ocean Byrne (3D)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

08 August 2016
S.S. Pangia - Mothership - Ocean Byrne - Thrust Challenge, Ocean Byrne (3D)

Title: S.S. Pangia - Mothership - Ocean Byrne - Thrust Challenge

Name: Ocean Byrne

Software: Sculptris Lightwave 3D Modo Photoshop After Effects

Submitted: 4th August 2016

The S.S. Pangia is a giant chuck of rock, blown from the crust of a dying world - enormous engines strapped on to propel the last surviving cities, villages, and monuments to a hopefully brighter tomorrow drifting under cellophane skies…

Please watch my video as it is a nice dramatic reveal of the ship.
https://youtu.be/we1ZqUvm4dk

-

I have long wanted to bring this concept to life, and am thankful to the Thrust Challenge as motivator to do so. I am also grateful the deadline was delayed as, wouldn't you know it, even with the extra weeks life hasn't afforded me a whole lot of time to work on my ship.

This has really been a huge challenge and learning experience for me. I have done very little work with organic modeling before, and found Sculptris to be a fun, intuitive, and powerful tool for modeling my mountains. Learning Modo to texture paint my flying world with satellite imagery was less intuitive, but also seems very promising... Given my time constraints, I stitched it all together in Lightwave, where I can better pretend I know what I am doing, but I did a fair amount of learning in there too about using the great instancing tools to construct my cities and the asteroid debris that falls off the bottom of the ship and looks cool.

The biggest challenge, aside from learning how to do every little thing, and budget my limited time - was playing with scale. If I built my ship to the true massive scale I envision it, you wouldn't be able to see any of the details on the surface. Instead I cartoonishly jacked the size of all the guns, radar dishes, and nernies to be the size of cities, hoping that they read from our worldly perspective. It is an interesting dance to make things visually accessible, while at the same time trying to maintain the utter scientific plausibility of a big hunk of rock floating through space with a gravity machine on the bottom and future cellophane draped over the mountains to sustain life.

Turns out it is a lot of work to create a world, even as broad stroked and amateurishly as I have done here.

My hat is off to all the participants in this challenge! Lots of great work and cool ideas. Frankly, I often find it depressing how good everyone's work is. You all clearly have more patience, time, and talent than I do - and it makes me wonder how I have managed to make a living as a freelance animator these last 20 years?

All you ships are much better executed than mine, but I feel I have one of the more unique and whimsical concepts on here, so that aught to count for something...

Anyhow, cheers to you all, and thanks for the motivation.

Last edited by objuan : 08 August 2016 at 08:38 AM.

share thread