Has anyone used Krita while actually working "in the industry"?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

10 October 2017
Has anyone used Krita while actually working "in the industry"?

I keep finding contradictory threads on the subject but I never see anyone actually say theyve used krita while being employed at some major game studios.
My problem is, Im capable in photoshop, but faster in krita.

I can get similar results in both programs. Just different methods obviously. However I keep seeing people say to just stay in photoshop because its the industry standard. I feel like I would be much more of an assett using Krita because I can produce the same / better quality work faster than in photoshop. Mainly thanks to Krita's brush engine, blending, tweaking tools.

I dont want to gimp myself out of a possible job though. I feel if I competed against a guy that uses photoshop, a company wouldnt even consider me because its safer to use the photoshop guy.
If its true then it really saddens me that I need to slow myself down in order to be considered.

So any input would be greatly appreciated. (Been using photoshop for years, recently started messing with krita).

10 October 2017
For concept art? I don't think it matters.

With concept art the final output is a JPG image which helps direct the rest of the work. Specific workflows are less of a problem. And even if someones running some pipeline tools for Photoshop then you could paint in Krita and bring your painting into PS and save/load into the right pipeline location. I work in VFX (not games) and I don't care if someone paints with physical oils as long as the art satisfies the brief. The final output is simple flat digital image - how you get there doesn't matter to me.

For matte painting, texture painting and those more technical tasks then there could be problems. There's specific needs for these roles which fit into complex pipelines (especially the colour pipeline) and thus you have less flexibility.

All of that said it's important to know how to use Photoshop. And it's a powerful tool - if you're slower in it than in another program the first question I'd be asking myself is Why is this Slower? Followed by : Am I Getting the Same Final Product Quality in Both Applications? and If Quality is the Same, Can I be Faster in PS?
Critcal feedback example #62: "Well instead of the Stalinist purges and the divorce and the investigation ... it could be about losing a balloon."

10 October 2017
Originally Posted by axiomatic: For concept art? I don't think it matters.

With concept art the final output is a JPG image which helps direct the rest of the work. Specific workflows are less of a problem. And even if someones running some pipeline tools for Photoshop then you could paint in Krita and bring your painting into PS and save/load into the right pipeline location. I work in VFX (not games) and I don't care if someone paints with physical oils as long as the art satisfies the brief. The final output is simple flat digital image - how you get there doesn't matter to me.

For matte painting, texture painting and those more technical tasks then there could be problems. There's specific needs for these roles which fit into complex pipelines (especially the colour pipeline) and thus you have less flexibility.

All of that said it's important to know how to use Photoshop. And it's a powerful tool - if you're slower in it than in another program the first question I'd be asking myself is Why is this Slower? Followed by : Am I Getting the Same Final Product Quality in Both Applications? and If Quality is the Same, Can I be Faster in PS?

If I did anything "professional" it would most likely be concept art or 2D sprites / stills. Nothing to do with VFX directly. I know how to use photoshop, been using it for years. Im not slower in it because of skill, im slower in it because it simply lacks some of the time savers krita has. It wont matter for an hours work but over days, it adds up.

10 October 2017
Originally Posted by Jessicruel: If I did anything "professional" it would most likely be concept art or 2D sprites / stills. Nothing to do with VFX directly. I know how to use photoshop, been using it for years. Im not slower in it because of skill, im slower in it because it simply lacks some of the time savers krita has. It wont matter for an hours work but over days, it adds up.

If you think you're fast enough with Photoshop to compete in a commercial environment then what's the problem? Tell potential clients that you prefer to work in Krita ("Do you mind if I complete the project in Krita, it's my prefered workflow") but if they require it then you can complete the job in PS. You're in a win/win situation. Most art directors would be happy to have the option. If they do have special needs (layering, colourspace, file format, masks etc) then you're at no disadvantage because you're been using photoshop for years.

With regards to my comments on suggesting you question yourself on how you could be faster in another piece of software, that is universally used in the industry you're talking about, well feel free to ignore it. If you think you know everything about a piece of software then more power to you. Personally I'm still learning.
Critcal feedback example #62: "Well instead of the Stalinist purges and the divorce and the investigation ... it could be about losing a balloon."

10 October 2017
Originally Posted by axiomatic: If you think you're fast enough with Photoshop to compete in a commercial environment then what's the problem? Tell potential clients that you prefer to work in Krita ("Do you mind if I complete the project in Krita, it's my prefered workflow") but if they require it then you can complete the job in PS. You're in a win/win situation. Most art directors would be happy to have the option. If they do have special needs (layering, colourspace, file format, masks etc) then you're at no disadvantage because you're been using photoshop for years.

With regards to my comments on suggesting you question yourself on how you could be faster in another piece of software, that is universally used in the industry you're talking about, well feel free to ignore it. If you think you know everything about a piece of software then more power to you. Personally I'm still learning.

I think we're misunderstanding eachother. The problem is If I switched fully to krita, my technique in photoshop will start to fade the less you use the tool. Its also a pain to transfer new brushes from one to another and get the same feel. Doesnt matter anymore. I also didnt ignore your question, I answered it.

"be faster in another piece of software, that is universally used in the industry you're talking about, well feel free to ignore it. If you think you know everything about a piece of software then more power to you"

You're sounding like its an incredibly complex beast that can never be tamed. Its easy to learn and nowadays its as easy as it gets when it comes to photo manipulation. So easy, the masses of twitter photoshop themselves with pirated copies on a daily basis. What I think you're talking about is artistic skill which is its own thing really.

Id appreciate someone else pitching in their experience but the lack of responses kind of gave me an answer. Which is Id be safer to stick to photoshop.

10 October 2017
Originally Posted by Jessicruel: The problem is If I switched fully to krita, my technique in photoshop will start to fade the less you use the tool. Its also a pain to transfer new brushes from one to another and get the same feel. [8<]

You're sounding like its an incredibly complex beast that can never be tamed. Its easy to learn and nowadays its as easy as it gets when it comes to photo manipulation. So easy, the masses of twitter photoshop themselves with pirated copies on a daily basis. What I think you're talking about is artistic skill which is its own thing really.

I wouldn't worry about skills atrophying. As you point out, it's the art skills which make the largest difference.

My only motive here is saying that if you think Photoshop is slower for you, but for others it isn't slowing them down enough to change, then it's worth understanding why that is. I've known people to have hugely different workflows in PS, it seems like maybe there's ways to make it more Krita-like for you if you need too.

I currently have 5 full time concept artists on my team and over the last year have worked with at least 30 others, both freelance and from various studios (including some of the best in the world). We never specify which software they use. On the other hand we do ask for changes to the art work depending on my own, and the directors, feedback - so we expect that they would use a workflow which allows this to be done efficiently. Sometimes we'll ask for layers and hold-out masks, and we usually have minimum resolution requirements. Beyond that we don't care how those pieces are produced.

If I sound truculant it's because it's strange to give advice to someone who admits to being a non-professional, only to have them tell you they know better than you. I've been using PS since it had it only had one level of undo (first version I got was in 1997 I think) first as an amateur, then as a professional retoucher and designer, then throughout my VFX career. And I'm willing to bet there's things I could do better or faster in the software still Maybe I'm just starting to hit that cranky stage already - which kinda sucks, I don't wanna be that guy hah.

Last edited by axiomatic : 10 October 2017 at 06:15 AM.

10 October 2017
Why don't you advertise that you can work in Photoshop AND Krita? Surely that's a plus, not a minus.

As for what you can use, that would likely depend on the workplace you're in.

I don't think that once you have a job, anybody will tell you "you MUST use Photoshop".

That might be a requirement only if a project TECHNICALLY absolutely requires Photoshop - e.g. your images go into a software pipeline that needs multi-layered PSD Photoshop files with a certain color workflow or similar.

10 October 2017
i wouldn't worry about it at all. if krita works out faster for you then use that. it's a freeware, multi-platform and doesn't even require an installation. as long as you can handle photoshop you don't need to advertise what exactly you want to do in either app in my opinion. if there is any requirement to store assets in a certain way and format that you absolutely need to use photoshop for then simply transfer the relevant layers between ps/krita.

i regular deal with studios that use max or maya whereas my own work is usually done in blender. i'd bring it into a workplace without hesitation, too. nobody tends to care as long as my preference does not cost them a penny or opens them up to ligitation.

sure if you work in some rigid environment where you are locked to a certain platform, pipeline and output format then things may look different. games isn't that kind of environment though.

10 October 2017
...and I was just thinking the other day, whether it isn't time for the next one of my "How yall getting on with Linux" threads or not.... Out of curiosity - *are* you on Linux, OP?

It's really nice to see FOSS software go from strength to strength, to compete with pros, and, at least as far as the OP is concerned, actually outdo it!!
I've never used it myself, but to me - if something BETTER or comparable is FREE, while the other one is PAY, then.......the fact that man is rational dictates that you throw out the latter......

reply share thread