Maya 2013 Extension up for download

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09 September 2012   #31
Originally Posted by cgbeige: Apple's OpenGL drivers are fine. No one is using OpenGL 4.1 in any apps (even Mari only usies GL 3.0, and 3.2 has been supported in OS X 10.7 and up). There is a 4.1 update coming for Mountain Lion from what I hear from my well-placed contact in *mumble* *mumble*. The hardware tessellation preview can be done with OpenGL 3.0 from what I've read and from what Mari is doing.


GL3.0 represents the equivalent of DX10 so hardware tessellation isn't really supported in anything prior to GL4.0/DX11. Mountain Lion is still using GLSL 1.2... 1.2! Currently the latest GLSL is 4.3 and even though ML has a pretty good coverage of GL 3.2 they're still leaning on GLSL 1.2 from GL3.0. I understand the whole consistent user experience across all supported hardware but it would be nice to at least include the support for machines that can take advantage of it (or developers).
__________________
My opinions do not represent those of my employer.
 
Old 09 September 2012   #32
Originally Posted by BoostAbuse: GL3.0 represents the equivalent of DX10 so hardware tessellation isn't really supported in anything prior to GL4.0/DX11. Mountain Lion is still using GLSL 1.2... 1.2! Currently the latest GLSL is 4.3 and even though ML has a pretty good coverage of GL 3.2 they're still leaning on GLSL 1.2 from GL3.0. I understand the whole consistent user experience across all supported hardware but it would be nice to at least include the support for machines that can take advantage of it (or developers).


Amen to that.
 
Old 09 September 2012   #33
I think this looks like a very solid middle release and makes me positive about 2014 for sure.
There is some very useful things in there.

Good job
__________________
Website
Steam Punk Challenge
 
Old 09 September 2012   #34
Originally Posted by BoostAbuse: GL3.0 represents the equivalent of DX10 so hardware tessellation isn't really supported in anything prior to GL4.0/DX11. Mountain Lion is still using GLSL 1.2... 1.2! Currently the latest GLSL is 4.3 and even though ML has a pretty good coverage of GL 3.2 they're still leaning on GLSL 1.2 from GL3.0. I understand the whole consistent user experience across all supported hardware but it would be nice to at least include the support for machines that can take advantage of it (or developers).


interesting, thanks. I heard wrong, apparently. So I guess the Foundry is doing tessellation in Mari without GL. Was the Pixar demo of Open Subdiv at SIGGRAPH using GL 4.x then?

I agree that Apple needs to be more current with their GL offerings and hopefully they'll reach parity come winter. But you guys probably have to worry about more compatibility that is more limiting than 4.0, am I right? You can't just jump on something because it's there - you have a ton of clients using older Quadros with more limited GL support.

Last edited by cgbeige : 09 September 2012 at 04:48 PM.
 
Old 09 September 2012   #35
Originally Posted by cgbeige: interesting, thanks. I heard wrong, apparently. So I guess the Foundry is doing tessellation in Mari without GL. Was the Pixar demo of Open Subdiv at SIGGRAPH using GL 4.x then?

I agree that Apple needs to be more current with their GL offerings and hopefully they'll reach parity come winter. But you guys probably have to worry about more compatibility that is more limiting than 4.0, am I right? You can't just jump on something because it's there - you have a ton of clients using older Quadros with more limited GL support.


Nope, Mari does use GL tessellation and requires GL 4.0. If it isn't present Mari will disable tessellation.
 
Old 09 September 2012   #36
Originally Posted by Bitter: Depending on how you render. . .dds is good for realtime and preview.

Tiled/mipmapped EXRs are most memory efficient for offline rendering.

Those are supported by all the major render engines.


Thanks, good to know.

cheers,
Brian
 
Old 09 September 2012   #37
Originally Posted by forelle: Nope, Mari does use GL tessellation and requires GL 4.0. If it isn't present Mari will disable tessellation.


ak, okay then that's a newer hardware requirement.
 
Old 09 September 2012   #38
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.
__________________
CGTalk Policy/Legalities
Note that as CGTalk Members, you agree to the terms and conditions of using this website.
 
Thread Closed share thread



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
CGSociety
Society of Digital Artists
www.cgsociety.org

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright 2000 - 2006,
Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Minimize Ads
Forum Jump
Miscellaneous

All times are GMT. The time now is 10:01 AM.


Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.