Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 10-07-2013, 09:58 AM   #1
Misucra
Veteran

portfolio
Haroldas Kapalinskas
Tokyo, Japan

WIP Flare Corona

I am doing on request Flare Corona (Fairy Tail) fanart in my own vision.
The current progress:

Current problems:
Wolf heads (especially the one on left)
Hand

Would appreciate any kind of critique.

Old 10-07-2013, 11:37 AM   #2
Anaxa
Veteran
portfolio

When you're drawing subjects you're not familiar with, look at photo reference. You don't need to copy exactly, but even with stylized art like yours you have to examine the reality first, or it's all guesswork. Both wolves look very, very wrong. For starters, the one on the right looks like its upper jaw is bending, because you tried to put it in perspective, but since you have a poor grasp of the head structure of a wolf, you couldn't. Googling "snarling wolf" and doing studies of the photos will help you.

The foreshortening on her arm is a bit strange, and the wrinkles on her robe as well. That's another point where reference could help you - and it's easy because you could look in the mirror or take a photo. Also, I like the composition, generally, but I think the wolf on the left is a bit cut off. Either you could expand the canvas or move him more central.

Basically, use reference.

Old 10-07-2013, 02:22 PM   #3
Misucra
Veteran

portfolio
Haroldas Kapalinskas
Tokyo, Japan

Thank you for feedback. Yes I am using the reference but still it is hard to get a grasp of how wolf head goes. Even so I am making some adjustments.

As for arm her breast line is too high, her biceps part is too long, and as for wrinkles I am still working on them as this is only sketch.

Old 10-08-2013, 09:27 AM   #4
Anaxa
Veteran
portfolio

If that's the case, you may find it helpful to do structural studies of this type http://hira-geco.deviantart.com/art...-face-348087440 to get an idea of how the wolf's head fits together.

Old 10-08-2013, 11:23 AM   #5
Misucra
Veteran

portfolio
Haroldas Kapalinskas
Tokyo, Japan

Thank you very much for the link!

Current progress:

Old 10-08-2013, 12:57 PM   #6
ConceptStingray
Expert

portfolio
Paul
United Kingdom

I like this. But I noticed that the wolf's nose is a little too big and mouth are could use more work. cheers

Old 10-09-2013, 02:45 PM   #7
Misucra
Veteran

portfolio
Haroldas Kapalinskas
Tokyo, Japan

New small progress:

P.S Just in case wolf heads are formed from hair, so I am not adding to many detail on them.
The tattoo on her face originally was on her right breast, but for my own reasons and because current clothing of Flare is covering her chest fully I just relocated it on her right cheek.

Last edited by Misucra : 10-10-2013 at 03:26 PM.

Old 10-10-2013, 02:38 AM   #8
Lunatique
Pragmatic Dreamer

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Robert Chang
Artist|Writer|Composer
Photographer|Director
Lincoln, USA

Don't cut off the wolf's head like that at the left/bottom corner. When you construct composition, you want to think carefully about why you are cutting off a head at that exact spot. Why cut off just before we get to its mouth? What's the significance of showing only the top half of the wolf's head?

Generally speaking, when cropping off a character (or animal) at the the edge of your image, you want to do the severing at a spot that shows a particular feature or limb or other body part away from the 50% or 0% or 100%, because that part will either look odd showing exactly half, or the cutoff point is right at the beginning or ending of the part, creates a contrived sense of visual arrangement.

With your wolf head, you cut off its head at exactly 100% of the nose, and almost 0% of the mouth. That is why it's problematic.

You also have a bit of a tangent problem with the other wolf head. See how the character's finger lines up almost perfectly with the bottom row of teeth? You don't ever want to do that. Either do a clear separation, or a partial overlap so the contour edges of both foreground and background elements read more clearly, as well as maintain a strong visual hierarchy of dimensional depth.

Old 10-10-2013, 09:22 AM   #9
Misucra
Veteran

portfolio
Haroldas Kapalinskas
Tokyo, Japan

Ah yes I was expecting for mention about wolf's head on left. It is intentional because I will make wolf's eye stand out more. I tried first tilting the head so only eye would be shown, but after a lot of testing I just decided to go with this head. I might make some changes to mouth part, but my gut says that head should stay like this. As for the wolf's head on the right. There will be strong color difference between two(wolf's head will be dominated by strong yellow and dark red, while fingers will be skin color), but I still might adjust teeth so they wouldn't look almost perfectly aligned with fingers.

Thank you for your feedback.

Old 10-12-2013, 01:55 PM   #10
Misucra
Veteran

portfolio
Haroldas Kapalinskas
Tokyo, Japan

I finished fixing details (might have missed some), but now lineart is finished and I will start working with colors.

Old 02-13-2014, 11:31 PM   #11
Misucra
Veteran

portfolio
Haroldas Kapalinskas
Tokyo, Japan

Update:

Almost done

For bigger version: http://oi59.tinypic.com/14w66vm.jpg

Last edited by Misucra : 02-13-2014 at 11:34 PM.

Old 02-14-2014, 09:02 AM   #12
Misucra
Veteran

portfolio
Haroldas Kapalinskas
Tokyo, Japan

OK added some minor fixes to hair (there was some places which really looked awful)
Also added second layer of "smoke" to fire effects (eyes and mouths of wolf heads)

Bigger version: http://s32.photobucket.com/user/Mis...aba485.png.html

Last edited by Misucra : 02-14-2014 at 09:10 AM.

Old 02-14-2014, 09:02 AM   #13
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread