Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 10-01-2013, 09:12 AM   #46
shalabology
Expert
portfolio
ahmed shalaby
Egypt

Send a message via MSN to shalabology Send a message via Yahoo to shalabology
well, excuse me for my ignorance , i s that extension that Service Pack 3 or something else ?
i ve already installed that and tried to access Python via MXS and nothing !

Old 10-01-2013, 10:22 AM   #47
MichaelWBell
Michael Wentworth-Bell

portfolio
Michael Wentworth-Bell
Motion Graphics / 3D Artist
Reel Pictures
Melbourne, Australia

When you download the Extension it includes 2 of the 3 new features: Python + Point Cloud

You must download the 3rd feature (StereoCamera rig) from the Autodesk 3ds max Exchange store.

Here is the documentation for the extension which includes links for all 3 main features:
http://docs.autodesk.com/3DSMAX/16/...Help/index.html

As well as the 3 new features, the extension includes Service Pack 3 which was released last week.

My VR-Diary videos - CG Talk thread
My Folio website

Old 10-01-2013, 10:39 AM   #48
KiboOst
Lord of the posts
KiboOst
R&D | Technical Director
France

If you have ever installed SP3 you can extract 3dsMax_2014_EXT.exe with winrar.
It will give you both SP3 and PCPython.msi
Then install which you want.

For silent users:
msiexec /passive /update \\server\path\3dsMax2014_SP3.msp

msiexec /passive /i \\server\path\PCPython.msi

Here is the doc for python in max:
http://docs.autodesk.com/3DSMAX/16/...tion/index.html

Feel free to post your thought, wishes etc !!

Old 10-01-2013, 01:31 PM   #49
shalabology
Expert
portfolio
ahmed shalaby
Egypt

well , it seems that python dosent recognize MaxPlus when i import it and evaluate although executing the same code from MXS is OK , i tried add the path via "sys.path.append " but no way !
i wish life can be as easy as maya handles python

Old 10-01-2013, 02:24 PM   #50
Charkins
Digital Handyman

portfolio
Christopher Harkins
Lead CG Artist
Kitestring
Louisville, USA

Does anyone know where to get some point cloud sample data? Can't seem to track down any .rcs or .rcp files...

Old 10-01-2013, 02:29 PM   #51
PiXeL_MoNKeY
Expert

Eric Craft
Dallas, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalabology
well , it seems that python dosent recognize MaxPlus when i import it and evaluate although executing the same code from MXS is OK , i tried add the path via "sys.path.append " but no way !
i wish life can be as easy as maya handles python
Appears to work here. What do you get when you run this code from the Maxscript Editor:
Code:
( pyTest = "import MaxPlus\n" pyTest += "help(MaxPlus.Asset)" python.Execute pyTest )

-Eric

Old 10-01-2013, 02:42 PM   #52
shalabology
Expert
portfolio
ahmed shalaby
Egypt

Eric , it works this way from MXS , the idea is when i work from python shell (the python program)

Old 10-01-2013, 03:25 PM   #53
KiboOst
Lord of the posts
KiboOst
R&D | Technical Director
France

Quote:
Eric , it works this way from MXS , the idea is when i work from python shell (the python program)

maxplus module relies on your max session, so I guess you can't import it outside of max.

Old 10-01-2013, 04:04 PM   #54
PiXeL_MoNKeY
Expert

Eric Craft
Dallas, USA

As KiboOst stated MaxPlus is derived from the MaxPlus plugin that is loaded by 3ds max. All of the classes and functions have no context outside of 3ds max.

Now I do know that some people have been working on getting various Python IDEs working so you can code in them and execute in 3ds max.

Hopefully that information will be posted publicly soon for users like yourself interested in developing 3ds max python code outside of the Maxscript Editor.

-Eric

Old 10-01-2013, 09:17 PM   #55
shalabology
Expert
portfolio
ahmed shalaby
Egypt

well , i m not so picky regarding developing outside or inside , but dont you find how tedious to wrap your code inside text and lose you color coding beside many diturbances you feel while working?
i just need to be able to work consistently , so i just figured out that i would open Python shell write my code and save in and run it from MXS ,so far fine but need more practice and as u mentioned it needs more recommendation or even trial

Old 10-01-2013, 09:58 PM   #56
PiXeL_MoNKeY
Expert

Eric Craft
Dallas, USA

Quote:
well , i m not so picky regarding developing outside or inside , but dont you find how tedious to wrap your code inside text and lose you color coding beside many diturbances you feel while working?
i just need to be able to work consistently , so i just figured out that i would open Python shell write my code and save in and run it from MXS ,so far fine but need more practice and as u mentioned it needs more recommendation or even trial
They probably should have included a Python language option for the Maxscript Editor. That way you could have Python written side by side with what you are calling to execute it.

However, it looks like there is a MaxPlus.py and _MaxPlus.pyd in the 3ds max root. Have you tried importing those into your python shell? Haven't tried and not sure if that will do anything for you or not.

-Eric

Old 10-01-2013, 10:44 PM   #57
shalabology
Expert
portfolio
ahmed shalaby
Egypt

importing MaxPlus was the first thing to do already and i tried to include it in the sys path even tried to add that in registry path but no way !

Old 10-02-2013, 08:48 AM   #58
jedie
Expert
portfolio
jens d.
jojo, Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelWBell
You must download the 3rd feature (StereoCamera rig) from the Autodesk 3ds max Exchange store.

Why? To make the Exchange store more public?

Old 10-02-2013, 03:21 PM   #59
Grim Beefer
Lord of the posts

James
Anatomical Animator
USA

I've been a little out of the loop due to some job title changes (been assigned to more graphic design/traditional 2d), but let me see if I understand...

I recommended to my work that we quit renewing our Max subscription, after the release of 2013, because they weren't worth the money, in our case.

Had we stayed with our subscription, we wouldn't have received the full 2013 extension because some of it, bafflingly, was paywalled behind a suite bundle, correct? This is also after they upped their subscription prices? 2014 included the particle enhancements already released in the extension, and added one new major feature, a low level crowd sim, correct? Now, the 2014 extension's big feature is Python scripting, which isn't even fully implemented? It appears that they did not continue the practice of putting some of the subscription benefits behind a suite paywall, or did I just miss it? From what I can tell, us Max users have no real concrete big projects or goals to look forward to, because we've been snubbed by recent trade shows? Sorry if this is a little OT, I'm just trying to catch up for my report, and this is the most recent thread.

Regardless, I'm glad we made the decision to end our subscription. Those thousands of dollars we would have budgeted into the subscriptions instead went into hardware upgrades, which saw a real boost to productivity.

Old 10-02-2013, 03:21 PM   #60
CGTalk Moderation
Expert
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread