Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 08-18-2013, 06:10 PM   #1
Chicano3000X3
Expert
portfolio
Jay Muro
Los Angeles, USA

Project I am working on, Nissan GTR. Nowhere near finished. Just wanted some crits on

Old 08-18-2013, 07:34 PM   #2
Kangaltwo
Rhino automotive modeler
portfolio
Mario Rossi
Italy

Hello
If i can express my opinion, the carbody is bumpy, but above all everything is too much smooth, u need to check carefully your mesh to avoid these issues.Using so much turbosmooth or similar the mesh needs to be perfect to avoid bumps and creases, and even if it was perfect it wouldn't be accurate anyway because the GTR is an edgy and straight line car.
This is a pic of the true thing to give u a reference of how much the edges are sharp.
Also, there's no surface continuity in your model, because u modeled each piece separately instead of, as i always suggest, to concept the carbody as an unique piece checking everything flows perfectly.
So, i'd say, before to add details as the interiors and stuff, u should really check your meshflow and look at as much references as possible .
I hope i've been useful, please take it as a motivation to keep on and to improve your modeling.
Cheers

Last edited by Kangaltwo : 08-18-2013 at 07:42 PM.

Old 08-18-2013, 11:28 PM   #3
AJ1
User

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
A J
Indiana, USA

Hey man,

Could you post a few wireframe shots?

I know it can be fun to play around with modeling different areas of the car, but when your working on a real object and you have lots of good reference material, it helps to fully finish one component before moving on to the next. If you look at some of the WIP threads of the master car modelers, you'll notice how they methodically move their way around the body, and usually do the interior and engine stuff last. For example, if you finish the body work around the door before starting on the sealing trims and the door panels, you won't have to keep redoing and tweaking things as you slowly push everything into shape.

-AJ

Old 08-30-2013, 09:35 PM   #4
Chicano3000X3
Expert
portfolio
Jay Muro
Los Angeles, USA

Sorry for the long time to reply, here are the wireframe shots..

With Hypernurbs:

Old 08-30-2013, 10:38 PM   #5
Scote
just a creator

portfolio
Samuel Cote
3D Artist / FX Coordinator
Montreal, Canada

Sorry to tell you but your topology is pretty weird for a car modeling.. No way you can put that in a Portfolio if you stick to that. Refine your topology.. it's so easy.

Old 08-31-2013, 02:58 AM   #6
Chicano3000X3
Expert
portfolio
Jay Muro
Los Angeles, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scote
Sorry to tell you but your topology is pretty weird for a car modeling.. No way you can put that in a Portfolio if you stick to that. Refine your topology.. it's so easy.

I know, I'm working on that. It's like trying to untangle wires..

Old 08-31-2013, 03:28 AM   #7
Romanthony
Frequenter
Kelly Hanks
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X3
I know, I'm working on that. It's like trying to untangle wires..

Well, at this stage it is going to be hard to fix. It would be best to just start over with a more straight forward, organic approach to modeling. Remember, four sided polygons work the best in subdivisions. It's easy when you start with just a simple box, and split edge loops/extrude/shape it from there. The car design looks nice, but the topology is just not working.

Old 09-02-2013, 08:38 PM   #8
ACantarel
Helicopter-Guy

portfolio
Andre Cantarel
CG Model Supervisor
santa Monica, USA

Yeah you have to work a bit on the edge flow. have a look at this SLS. Yes it;s a different car but check out the overall edge flow. Pretty clean and smooth:

Mercedes SLS edge flow

Cheers
Andre

Old 09-02-2013, 08:38 PM   #9
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread