portfolio
Emilien Rotival
Freelance illustrator
Bordeaux, France

The Dark queen, Emilien Rotival (2D)

Title: The Dark queen
Name: Emilien Rotival
Software: Photoshop

The ruthless queen of an ancient kingdom, this severe woman went as far as to ally herself with the sworn enemies of her people in order to secure her grip on power. Throughout her reign of terror, the light that was once monarchy dwindles...

Character portrait done in Photoshop, It's bloody time that I grow up and start improving my use of reference material, because I spend far more time assembling sketch parts and guessing lights & folds than it would take to set up the approriate costume for a decent photo shoot...

Old 04-05-2013, 01:43 PM   #2
linainverse23
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Veronica Purpura
Anaheim, USA

Thumbs up

Oh, she looks severe all right. But she also looks a bit like a "he"; its her hair on the side of her cheeks peeking out from her head dress (they look like side burns). And her facial bone structure has a masculine feel to it (it's a very creepy effect; that's one ugly woman; in both body and soul). I do like he show more of her age with the wrinkled and saggy skin, the freckling and discolored complexion and even the drooping breast (nice touch). I do like her costume, especially the headdress (love the design and stitch-work on it). The main dress probably could've used a bit more color ascents (like more cream colored trims or something; but that's more an opinion). I like how you blocked out the background architecture (very well done; although could've refined a few areas; like the some of the books). I really like how the glass window turned out, and the crown on the skull is a nice touch. Overall, this is a very cool piece, so keep it for your portfolio. Keep it up. Great job.

Old 04-06-2013, 02:24 PM   #3
TheArtySquid
Veteran

portfolio
Emilien Rotival
Freelance illustrator
Bordeaux, France

Thank you for the review. I didn't aim for beautiful anyway, but now that you mention it, in a different context her face may indeed pass for that of a man. I already knew female characters aren't my forte, but I have to admit that I'm really confused when it comes to the subtle variations in facial structure between men and women. I do get the overal idea of softer shapes, smaller eyebrow arch, curves instead of angles... But I'm not at ease yet when putting it into practice. I really need to focus on portraiting women.

Old 04-06-2013, 02:24 PM   #4
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread