Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 02-04-2013, 05:07 PM   #1
Yakawa
portfolio
Bulgaria

Struggling beginner

Hello talented people,

I'm kind of on a crossroad right now and I would love if You, if possible, can help me or guide me in anyway.
I would love to pursue career in Animation and VFX, but I have few problem or struggles.
I thought if I should write a long assay like post, but I think it will be more confusing, so here are
my questions straight away, and I'm ready to answer any following questions.

1) I can't draw, I have the idea, motivation, passion - I just can't make it the same as it looks in my head or something just don't look right.
is there a point to start learning this programs if I can't draw ?
2) Right now I'm thinking to learin two programs Maya and Cinema4D, but do I really need the 2 programs or I should choose one and stick to it ?
/I don't need advices to which I should choose/
3) Should I start learingn ZBrush simultaniously, or first learn atleast the basics of the programs above and than inclucde ZBrush ?
/ZBrush is just the first one that poped into my head, I'm not saing that it will be it/
4) About tablets - I'm thinking to start without one at first and then move to Wacom Bamboo (it's not he best, but is cheap and
I won't lose anything if the things don't work out), will this be a good may or I need a tablet rightaway ?

That's what I'm thinking on for a few days now. I'm sorry if I wan't clear or it's hard to understand me - that's just how my brain works, it's all over the place.
If there is a need I can answer any question /or atleast I hope I can/.

I will apreciate each and every advice You give me.

Old 02-05-2013, 08:03 AM   #2
boomji
Expert

education

Hello

Quote:
1) I can't draw, I have the idea, motivation, passion - I just can't make it the same as it looks in my head or something just don't look right.

Yes you can.
make some time for doodling and doing rough sketches though. No pressure to render a complete object. Just perspective and proportion.

Quote:
2) Right now I'm thinking to learin two programs Maya and Cinema4D, but do I really need the 2 programs or I should choose one and stick to it ?

just one then.

Quote:
3) Should I start learingn ZBrush simultaniously, or first learn atleast the basics of the programs above and than inclucde ZBrush ?
/ZBrush is just the first one that poped into my head, I'm not saing that it will be it/

Yes,get a handle on the software first . You'll get a feel for the various aspects of cgi and might find that you have an affinity for something other than sculpting .

Quote:
4) About tablets - I'm thinking to start without one at first and then move to Wacom Bamboo (it's not he best, but is cheap and
I won't lose anything if the things don't work out), will this be a good may or I need a tablet rightaway ?

Mouse is good. Get a stick when you can afford one.

Browse through the art forums here.
http://forums.cgsociety.org/forumdisplay.php?f=177

have fun

b

Old 02-05-2013, 08:55 AM   #3
Gooner442
Expert
portfolio
Jay
United Kingdom

Anyone can draw.. just practise, and for some a teacher is needed so do a class, it really is possible, read 'drawing on the right side of the brain' if you doubt yourself

As for software I would forget about zbrush for now, far more important that you nail down poly modelling etc with a standard 3d package. Try not to overcomplicate things, I recommend you start with a mouse, a standard 3d package and if that package is like 3ds max you will have the tutorials given with the software to go through, do that whilst drawing, I used to draw whilst watching 'the wire', I would pause it, do a 1-5 minute sketch then carry on watching... my point is you can draw at any time.. better to draw from life but it all helps

There's plenty of better information than mine on this forum, check out 'Lunatiques' threads

Old 02-05-2013, 10:54 AM   #4
d4rk3lf
Expert

portfolio
Boban Krsmanovic
Nis, Serbia

And most importantly: less theory, more practice and working.
I often see people start thread like this, writing a ton's text on how they can't work, and if they used half of the time they spent on theorizing on how they can't draw, they would get better already.

Old 02-05-2013, 11:03 AM   #5
Panupat
Expert

portfolio
Panupat Chong
Thailand

What is your main interest? Concept art? Modeling? Or just 3D artist in general?

Application - stick to just 1.

Old 02-05-2013, 02:10 PM   #6
Dillster
Always Learning

portfolio
Dylan Saunders
Dublin, Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakawa
I won't lose anything if the things don't work out), will this be a good may or I need a tablet rightaway?

The Bamboo is quite good, I use it for ZBrush a lot and also painting in Photoshop. I think it's great value for money.

Old 02-05-2013, 03:07 PM   #7
LukeLetellier
Work in Progress

portfolio
Luke Letellier
Portland, Maine, USA

I can't draw worth beans, but that hasn't stopped me from pursuing motion graphics and photo-real CGI.

Don't get me wrong - drawing skills are incredibly nice to have, but they aren't an absolutely necessity; you can work around them if you think smartly about where to focus your time and energy.

Old 02-05-2013, 09:22 PM   #8
astu11
Veteran

portfolio
Asher
Washington DC, USA

+1 for the Bamboo. I've had one for about a year now and I have no complaints. Also, if you're going to learn Zbrush, a tablet is kind of a must.

Last edited by astu11 : 02-05-2013 at 09:25 PM.

Old 02-05-2013, 10:05 PM   #9
ThE_JacO
MOBerator-X

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Raffaele Fragapane
That Creature Dude
Animal Logic
Sydney, Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakawa

Practice, lots of it. It's what it boils down to, coupled with some art/draftmanship fundamentals from books or classes.
It's not a strict pre-req to be able to draw to model and sculpt digitally though, but there are things easier and faster practiced on paper than digitally, and viceversa.

Quote:

Stick to one for a while when you're beginning.
You're clearly starting from the basics, if you also struggle learning multiple softwares while doing it you'll slow yourself down. Get comfortable in one so that the software isn't an obstacle between your vision and its realization before you branch out. It's easy enough to pick something else up later.

Quote:

If you're shooting for modelling or art positions, yes, sculpting these days isn't an accessory or a final pass, it's an integral part of both modelling and it's becoming prominent even in art depts.

Quote:

For sculpting get one ASAP. Sculpting without pressure sensitivity is an unnecessary chore.

Free Maya Nodes

Old 02-06-2013, 05:34 AM   #10
Andrewty07
lifelong scholar of art

portfolio
Andrew Prewett
Animator
walnut creek, USA

I have had a bamboo for quite some time as well, it's a fantastic starter tablet or keeper regardless. In regards to drawing it may not be "necessary" though immensely useful because it further trains your eyes to see things and your hands to move how you actually want them to. I was somewhat ignorant to it at first but after digging into classes and now being required to take some foundational art courses in my school it has cleared things up a bit for me.

Another side note is regardless of field we may need to express ideas that can be a bit abstract, being able to whip up a sketch, storyboard or simple concept can be extreme valuable. Other users gave responses I agree with, don't dive into many programs at once but explore different tasks for now since you are just starting. I seen numerous people change plans after a little exploring just because they realize they hated modeling over rigging or thought animating was more enjoyable than texturing, etc. Just keep in mind if you are serious about it being a career path wherever you commit to will take up numerous hours and dedication, if you work on something and 6 hours goes without notice its a clue to stick with it.

Old 02-06-2013, 08:28 AM   #11
Kanga
KillaRoo

portfolio
Chris Kautz
Freelancer/Character artist.
Netherlands

Send a message via ICQ to Kanga Send a message via MSN to Kanga
You have gotten the best advice already.

Just to repeat what others have written: You can practice drawing and be busy with CG at the same time. I would certainly get a bamboo and then just start at the beginners tutorials on whatever app you choose. What you are after is learning principles and you can get that from the learning resources that come with the software you choose and the community attached to that software. Oh, and help from here of course

Cheerio

Old 02-06-2013, 02:04 PM   #12
Sthu
Frequenter
portfolio
Inva L
Switzerland

I had a bit of a problem getting inspired in the beginning and I found it out to be about the software, mostly. It wasn't until I saw a intro tut about **** I really started to dedicate myself to 3D. So maybe that's a good tip, to watch a bunch of intro tuts about different packs so you can make a good choice from the beginning.

Oh and drawing is way overrated, you will learn enough, what is more important is what you have in your head, getting it on screen is just some tuts away.

Old 02-06-2013, 10:38 PM   #13
Yakawa
portfolio
Bulgaria

Hi guys,

I can't thank you enough for replying and helping me !

Here are a few more personal responses:
@boomji ĖI'll do everything you suggested

@Gooner442 Ė Iím thinking to get a Lynda (dot com) subscription, because Iíve seen their course/videos and they are very nice, just like in school if a professor/teacher was to explain. Plus they are not that expensive. And thanks about suggesting @Lunatiques threads and that book Ė both look like very good and interesting reading materials.

@d4rk3lf Ė You are right, practice is the most important, but I feel that if I know the theory the practice will be easier.

@Panupat Ė Iím thinking Animation in general Ė from the idea to the full made character/movie.

@Dillster Ė Iíve heard only good about Bamboo, and Wacom in general, so thatís the reason why I choose this as my first tablet (then the time comes). Plus itís not really that expensive.

@LukeLetellier Ė I wasnít really scared that I canít be a 3D artist if I canít draw, but I think itís an added bonus.

@astu11 Ė As I said above, to Dillster, Iíve never heard a bad word about none of Wacoms tablets.

@ThE_JacO Ė Iím getting a book and Iíll start practicing and reading, Iím hoping to move to London soon and then I may take up a class if I donít feel that Iím good enough. I want to sculpt too so ZBrush is on my list, but first I think Iíll stick to the standard 3d package and then upgrade myself with ZBrush.

@Andrewty07 Ė A donít think Iíll make career out of this, just because I donít think I will ever be perfectly satisfied by my level. I would much rather keep it as a hobby (or something like that) than to hand anyone something that is just a step away from being perfect in my eyes just because of a deadline. (Donít get me wrong Ė I can manage my time Iím just never happy with my work, I know it can be better and thatís what was ďholdingĒ me from taking up with 3D even earlier.)

@Kanga Ė Yes, thatís basically what it comes down to.

At the end I want to thank everyone for the time you spend for me ! I really appreciate all of you helping me. I couldnít have asked for more. Now since itís obvious that with drawing/painting itís easier and better I will start from there Iíll read a book or two and practice Ė but it doesnít work out I will give 110 % on the 3D part and everything will be a okay Thanks again everybody and Iím sorry if I missed anything or anyone.

Old 02-06-2013, 10:38 PM   #14
CGTalk Moderation
Expert
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread