CGTalk > Software > Compositing Software > Adobe After Effects
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  
Old 12-28-2012, 01:39 PM   #1
Movie Theater Effect

Hi Everyone,

I'm currently shooting a short film and am completely new to After Effects. I have a scene that takes place in a movie theater, while a film is being screened. No film will really be screened during the shooting, and I would like to create some artificial flashes of light on the seats from the screen, in order to simulate this.
My shot is something like this photo here:

Does anyone know a tutorial that can help with this, or can give some basic instructions on this for a total newbie?

Thanks a lot guys!
Old 12-28-2012, 05:17 PM   #2
Lord of the posts
Sean Kennedy
Visual Effects Artist
Burbank, USA
Hi Jennifer,

What you want to do for this effect is create a luma matte, and use it as a track matte on an adjustment layer that flickers the brightness.

A luma matte is taking a duplicate of your footage and turning it into a black and white image, then using that black and white image as an alpha (in After Effects, it's called a track matte) to control where the flickering brightness happens.

There's a good introduction to show you what luma and track mattes are, and how to set them up. You would want you luma matte to to not include the shadowed parts of your theater seat image, only the bright parts that are receiving light from the screen.

And instead of using the track matte on a logo image like in that video, you would apply the track matte to an adjustment layer. On that adjustment layer, put an Exposure effect, and then animate the exposure value up and down drastically on every frame. If you dial it all in correctly, it will make perfect flicker on the theater seats.
If it's not fun, what's the point?
Old 12-28-2012, 05:17 PM   #3
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.
CGTalk Policy/Legalities
Note that as CGTalk Members, you agree to the terms and conditions of using this website.
Thread Closed share thread