New Workstation Laptop

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

02 February 2018
New Workstation Laptop

Hello Everyone,

I am a CG artist and I am in search of a new and very powerfull workstation laptop. Some of the softwares I use include Maya, Zbrush, Substance Painter, After effects, Houdini etc...
Ive been doing lots of research comparing many different options and I have boiled it down to a few which are listed below. My knowledge of Computer hardware is embarrassingly limited and Id very much need some help figuring out which would be the best. 

1. Lenovo Thinkpad P71: $4589
-Processor options:
Intel Xeon E3-1505M v6 Processor (4 Cores, 8MB Cache, up to 4.0GHz)
Intel Xeon E3-1535M v6 Processor (4 Cores, 8MB Cache, up to 4.20GHz) +$400
 Note: ("CPU world" comparison indicates that they aren't much different only a higher operating frequency with 1535M)

-Graphics
NVIDIA Quadro P3000 6GB
NVIDIA Quadro P4000 8GB
NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB

-Memory
32GB(16+16) DDR4 2400MHz ECC SoDIMM (Upgradable to 64GB)

2. SAGER NP9877 (CLEVO P870TM-G): $4705
-Processor options:
8th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-8700K Processor ( 6 Cores, 12MB Smart Cache, 3.70GHz Base / 4.70GHz Max )

-Graphics:
SLI (2x) - NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1080 (16GB Total) GDDR5X (Pascal) DX12 + (2x) 330W AC Adapter + Power Converter Box

-Memory
32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3000MHz Dual Channel Memory

3. Dell Precision 7720: $5,041.52
-Processor options:
Intel Xeon E3-1575M v5 (Quad Core Xeon 3.00GHz, 3.90GHz Turbo, 8MB 45W, w/Iris Pro Graphics P580)

-Graphics
Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB 

-Memory
32GB (2x16GB) 2400MHz DDR4 ECC SDRAM

So it seems to me that the Clevo has better hardware comparing to the other two. The thing is that its being advertised as a gaming laptop and I don't really do much gaming and want to know if It would still be more powerful doing animation and 3D work. Does the hardware requirements for gaming differ from workstations?
Also if there are better options please let me know. 

Thanks,
Dara

02 February 2018
With 5k$ I would get both a decent laptop and a powerful workstation. Why does it have to be only a laptop?

02 February 2018
Please note that Quadro cards have no advantage for anything but CAD applications.
Also please note that SLI is not of any advantage for any DCC application, only games that specify it make use of this. If you want to do GPU rendering the SLI bridge can cause trouble and might need to be removed, which could be problematic in a laptop.
I would go with what FatherN suggests and check for a really mobile laptop and a real workstation. Workstation laptops are anything but portable and they often suffer from heat problems.

reply share thread