CGTalk > Software > Maxon Cinema 4D
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 10-03-2013, 06:35 PM   #76
Cometsoft
Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilay
I don't think so. They are still "maxers"(3dsmax users) and maya* funs.... softimage* users hate c4d, ha-ha, i was banned permanently at one russian forum for c4d advertising as tool.

* - btw i move to maya and softimage.

I went the opposite way (SI/Maya to C4D).

I only mentioned it because anyone familiar with VRay on the other platforms would have a leg up in terms of the renderer, especially now that VRay is so close to parity with the AD versions.

Am surprised that C4D loomed large enough on AD customers' radars to warrant "hate". Seems most of the hate in those quarters is directed at AD, especially from Softimage customers.

Old 10-03-2013, 06:39 PM   #77
hello2
hello hello
Hello
hello, CA

Go to Houdini.

Old 10-03-2013, 06:49 PM   #78
AdamT
oh ... what?

Adam Trachtenberg
Modeler, Animator, Attorney
3D Anvil
Miami, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristianZ

Where's the download link?

Old 10-03-2013, 06:53 PM   #79
JDP
Expert

It's in the 'Latest updates and installers' section.

Old 10-04-2013, 02:56 AM   #80
Zendorf
synapse farmer
portfolio
James Redmond
Sydney, Australia

Congrats to Stefan and crew for finally getting this out the door I haven't had a chance to try the update, but am looking to checking it out, as it looks amazing.

I would imagine that future updates won't take as long to implement now that the new core is established. Looking forward to the upcoming 3.0 features such as faster BR renders and vertex merging!

Old 10-04-2013, 08:16 AM   #81
leed
Know-it-All

Lee David
buzzbox
cardiff, United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDP
Hi Stefan, is the $99 voucher available yet for existing users?

Cheers,
JDP

As far as I can make out it is not... It is only valid for people buying now.. which is a bit disappointing.

Correct me if I am wrong...

Lee

Old 10-25-2013, 12:13 AM   #82
Blinny
Molded By the Dark

portfolio
Blinny
Freelance Motion Artist
USA

First time posting but a lurker on these forums from time to time.

Have some questions about capabilities in V-Ray for C4D. Sounds like v2 (V-Ray 3 core) is coming soon, so if either 1.8 or 2.0 does (or will do) the things I'm asking about, that's good enough for me. I can delay my purchase a few months if needed. BTW is the sequence of URLs here...

http://www.vrayforc4d.net/portal/features/features-2

...reflective of 1.8 or an earlier version?

That aside, the main thing I'm unclear on, is which features require the built-in features from C4D to be present, and which can be be generated by V-Ray as an "equivalents" or alternatives? More specifically:

Fur-like structures (generate hair-like structures via V-ray Fur, without C4D Hair module?)
Gas Clouds (generate without Turbulence FD, via True 3d Volume Scattering / Fog feature?)
Caustics (add caustic effects to fluid / liquids - i.e. refractive effects on the bottom of pool?)
Displacement Mapping (replace Subpolygon Displacement via BDRF Material capabilities?)
Physical Skies (if I read right, this is definitely in there...)
DOF Effect & Motion Blur (ditto - via physical camera?)

It seems like V-Ray has a ton of its advanced materials capabilities, so I'm wondering if these can stand in for their C4D equivalents (i.e. you don't need the native C4D object / tag / material features. Many thanks to any takers on this one. Sort of noobish questions, but I've decided if I want to get to the next level, V-Ray is a requirement in terms of speed and quality. R15 render improvements are impressive but still not V-Ray based on what I can see in my research.

Old 10-25-2013, 01:41 PM   #83
LukeLetellier
Work in Progress

portfolio
Luke Letellier
Portland, Maine, USA

Quote:
Fur-like structures (generate hair-like structures via V-ray Fur, without C4D Hair module?)

You can create fur directly through Vray, but I have not worked with that portion extensively. I believe the C4D Hair object (which Vray now supports within 1.8) allows you to have few more features, like hair dynamics.

Quote:
Gas Clouds (generate without Turbulence FD, via True 3d Volume Scattering / Fog feature?)

Vray is a render engine, not a simulation system - so you'll need another program such as Navie Effex or Turbulence FD to generate the simulation/particles. Vray could then take the simulation data from Navie and render that (not sure if you can render TurbulenceFD with Vray).

Quote:
Caustics (add caustic effects to fluid / liquids - i.e. refractive effects on the bottom of pool?)
Displacement Mapping (replace Subpolygon Displacement via BDRF Material capabilities?)
Physical Skies (if I read right, this is definitely in there...)
DOF Effect & Motion Blur (ditto - via physical camera?)

Vray has all of these, though I haven't personally used physical skies, so I'm not the best authority there. But Vray has it's own displacement material, as well as some very good Caustics, MB, and DOF.

If you're really looking to get into Vray, I highly recommend getting an account on the VrayforC4d forums and browsing through the posts. A ton of good information there.

Old 10-25-2013, 03:20 PM   #84
Blinny
Molded By the Dark

portfolio
Blinny
Freelance Motion Artist
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeLetellier
You can create fur directly through Vray, but I have not worked with that portion extensively. I believe the C4D Hair object (which Vray now supports within 1.8) allows you to have few more features, like hair dynamics.

OK so if I were looking to animate hair-like structures and have them move in the wind or get smushed when rolled over... that's not something V-Ray can "stand in" for C4D with, sounds like. It's not the first need for me but since there was a lot of mention of hair in the new features description I thought I'd ask.

Quote:
Vray is a render engine, not a simulation system - so you'll need another program such as Navie Effex or Turbulence FD to generate the simulation/particles. Vray could then take the simulation data from Navie and render that (not sure if you can render TurbulenceFD with Vray).

I realize it's a renderer, but, the page here:

http://www.vrayforc4d.net/portal/features/features-5

notes: "Sometimes You want clouds, or fog, or real bad weather to be simulated. V-Ray can do all of this, not faked but really volumetric calculated(!), and fast. You can define the atmosphere or regions in the atmosphere (via gizmo objects) to really scatter light, as it does when it has fine particles of dust, smoke or water in it..."

This seems to infer you can create the actual cloud or fog "objects" in V-Ray. No?

Quote:
Vray has all of these, though I haven't personally used physical skies, so I'm not the best authority there. But Vray has it's own displacement material, as well as some very good Caustics, MB, and DOF.

Excellent! I was especially curious about adding Caustics in C4D Broadcast, which I have to use sometimes. These are all a big deal for me.

Quote:
If you're really looking to get into Vray, I highly recommend getting an account on the VrayforC4d forums and browsing through the posts. A ton of good information there.

Will definitely do that. Thank you Luke for the help. If anyone else has comments, I'd value your opinions etc.

Old 10-25-2013, 04:36 PM   #85
Kokosing
Threadkilla
Will MacNeil
London, United Kingdom

Vray has a very solid Environment Fog feature. This can be used for everything from simple depth fog to volumetric lights and clouds.

W

@WillMacNeil_VFX

Old 10-25-2013, 04:59 PM   #86
Blinny
Molded By the Dark

portfolio
Blinny
Freelance Motion Artist
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokosing
Vray has a very solid Environment Fog feature. This can be used for everything from simple depth fog to volumetric lights and clouds.

W

Fantastic. Thanks for adding that info. Looking for a better way to create animations like the two below. Things like this (particularly "star fields") can be faked to a degree using AE and Trapcode suite, but doing it in true 3D with a high quality light render seems like an unavoidable necessity to make the work top quality. Sounds like V-Ray for C4D might be just the ticket. I'm pretty much sold at this point...

http://www.spacetelescope.org/videos/astro_bp/

http://www.spacetelescope.org/videos/hubblecast43b/

Old 10-25-2013, 05:19 PM   #87
EricM
Expert
Eric Marodon

How do you use it for Clouds? With a deformed mesh as atmospheric gizmo?

Old 10-25-2013, 06:05 PM   #88
LukeLetellier
Work in Progress

portfolio
Luke Letellier
Portland, Maine, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricM
How do you use it for Clouds? With a deformed mesh as atmospheric gizmo?

For clouds you would probably use a very low contrast noise shader.

If you're really looking to make billowing cumulus clouds, you'll probably need a fluid simulator of some sort; but if you're just looking for static, fog-like cloud structures, you can most likely get away with justvray.

Old 10-25-2013, 06:05 PM   #89
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread