Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 04-23-2013, 06:14 AM   #1
RaptorCWS
Veteran
portfolio
Bill
Fayetteville, United States Minor Outlying Islands

I need help with Retopology on my dragong WIP

Hi everyone im working on this dragon im using for a school project. currently way to high of a polycount to animate. My target is a bout 5-8k polygons. but when i try to use zsphere topology everything falls apart and i end up with holes in it. and q remesher destroys the teeth when i try that route. any suggestions?

Old 04-23-2013, 10:10 AM   #2
informerman
Expert

portfolio
EZ-Brush
dallas, USA

can you share the file?
maybe dynamesh it high then make another dynamesh low
and put the high and low in subtool and >project all
before you project all select the LOW mesh and subdivide it a few times,
in project all there is a Dist slider you may need to adjust

Old 04-25-2013, 12:14 AM   #3
musashidan
Bar Stool Enthusiast

portfolio
Daniel McGrath
Dublin, Ireland

If you're retopoing for the purpose of an organised mesh,(animatable) then there's no way around manual retopo. If you have access to an external 3D app then do the retopo work there. Otherwise, stick with zsphere retopo. The reason you're getting holes in the mesh is because you either have n-gons or open verts or verts that didn't snap to existing verts.

Qremesher can get you some of the way there if you use guides but you'll definitely have to do some manual work.

Old 04-25-2013, 04:44 AM   #4
informerman
Expert

portfolio
EZ-Brush
dallas, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaptorCWS
q remesher destroys the teeth when i try that route. any suggestions?

your trying to q remesh it as 1 object and maybe you need to q remesh it into groups.
in other words if the teeth are destroy, then set the teeth on its own separate subtool and then Q-Remesh it then merge it, BECAUSE the teeth need more density/polygons to keep its shape.
Q-Remesh works on MASK to put more polygons in that area but the more you put in that area to keep it shape is the less polygons to keep it shape in other area's that may need it,
once merged you may try try and Q-Remesh it again as 1 object to see what happens.
in other words mask helps density but if you over mask it may cause problems some where else.
plus any thing that has sharp edges or pointed spikes like teeth your going to need a lot more polygons

Last edited by informerman : 04-25-2013 at 05:30 AM.

Old 04-30-2013, 08:22 AM   #5
RaptorCWS
Veteran
portfolio
Bill
Fayetteville, United States Minor Outlying Islands

thanks everyone. I will try your advice. just bought topogun and hoping this helps, no matter what this project is due next week so hopefully i can knock something out by then. i fixed the hole issue but now im running into a brand new problem. When I re project the detail from my high poly to my low poly model; It seems to drop detail on parts of my model that where merged subtools. does anyone have any advice on how to fix this? The second image is the high res version. The third is after I project detail and subdivide until I get up to 2X the amount of polygons as the original without all the detail.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Topo2.jpg (79.1 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg Dragon B4 Project.jpg (76.7 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg after project.jpg (74.3 KB, 11 views)

Old 05-02-2013, 05:00 AM   #6
informerman
Expert

portfolio
EZ-Brush
dallas, USA

in zbrush in project all there is a Dist slider you may need to adjust,
if that dont work use the move brush and move the mesh parts thats not projecting right and move them similar or closer to the original mesh shape

Old 05-02-2013, 08:36 AM   #7
cineartist
Student Of The Craft

portfolio
Richard Culver
Hayward, USA

Yeah, I find project all is not perfect. You do have to kind of pre-sculpt it into position and it can be a continuous trial and error process until it works.

The distance setting can help, but I if you set it too high points will bridge across in some areas. So the best technique I find is to keep the dist low as possible and pre-sculpt.

Old 05-02-2013, 10:37 PM   #8
informerman
Expert

portfolio
EZ-Brush
dallas, USA

if you use the project all more then 1 time it may make thing worst,
so in other words if you project all and it still does not look right then dont keep pressing project all twice or 3 times ect.
if it doesn't look right the first time then UNDO it and move your dist slider or move the mesh and re project all

Old 05-02-2013, 10:37 PM   #9
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread