My 2D works (masking, vectorization, moods)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

12 December 2012
Please Crit My 2D works (masking, moods)

Hello, Im from Slovakia

And here are few of my works

First works - colorization - my task is to digitally create 10 various moods of one photo

so here they are

Last edited by Vychytraly : 12 December 2012 at 12:28 PM.

12 December 2012
and the i have masking here

Guys please give me some constructive criticism to make my works better

thank you very much in advance, i really appreciate all help

12 December 2012
I would appreciate any constructive criticism

12 December 2012
Hey Vychytraly,

the masking image is way to low-rez to comment on it. You would need to put up a higher resolution image in order for someone to make a comment on the masking.. And then, also a masking is a "simpler" process so maybe also no one wants to say anything to such a basic thing ? I dont know though, just a thought here..
For the other images, it would be interesting to know how long they took you ( and also here as well -> higher res images would be nice so that we can see the details of your work! ) .
Then, in my opinion, the dark ones - except the one with the torch - look ok. The bright ones need more work, especially the one with the yellow sky does not work at all.. I suppose it is meant to be dawn, but that doesn't come across clearly enough. You should look at some more reference pictures to see how the light looks. The first picture is a little oversaturated in my opinion and you could reduce the saturation on it to make it look more realistic.
Overall I would suggest to get more reference. Question is also, what where you going for? If you where going for a "fantasy - comic" look you got it.. if you where aiming for realism you should put more work into lighting and the contrast in the pictures.

Hope I could help you at least a little bit .

Greetings

Teknix

12 December 2012
oh thank you very much

you really helped me

hmm I know... the scale of the pictures :/ but this forum makes them smaller, if you right click on them and click on view picture you will see them in 1080p (they are uploaded in HD)

these are works for my University Admissions

But I dont know what they really want at the University... if they want the feeling of the scene, of the weather or the superb realism... :/

The weather pictures took me about... ehm few hours per picture, but first step was to make masks for various objects etc. so that lasted longer time...

Thank you very much you gave me criticism especially I needed, I will try to work more on them, then I will try to post them again

12 December 2012
Hey again,

ok, so took a - amplified - look at the second image, masking looks pretty solid to me, didn't see anything strange on first sight . Only point I have on this one is -> recheck the small figure. Somethings off with it...It jumps out of the picture, probably it is to bright, just comparing the main red tones in the left side ( big girl ) to the red tones of the small girls sweater you see that they are a lot brighter.
If you are aiming to create contrast between the "real" part of the image and the "unreal" part of the image ( big girl and scenery vs small girl ) you need to put more emphasis on the small girl, or to put it differently you need to work the contrast out more since now it looks kinda "unwanted".
Also, give the light of the moon some more work, right now, it looks as if it stops just where the girl is, some of it might go further on the sides of her ( check here for clarification ) .

Btw, the more I look at the first picture, the more awkward that castle shadow seems . Maybe you should take it out..

What kinda school are you applying for? Technical ? Artistic? I think from the purely technical side ( like photoshop stuff ) your images are looking good for a going to be student ! If it is an artschool, it might be to "technical" , I mean, you are showing you know the program, you know how to do masks, you know how to change some colors and stuff, but what are they looking for? Might be worth to think about this .

Keep it going

Greetings

Teknix

12 December 2012
thank you very much again I will surely work on all of them

I am 17 yrs old and I am applying for Film creation - Visual Effects in my home country Slovakia, maybe I could attach some of my VFX (3D, tracking, simulations, compo...) works here soon if you would like

But as I know, this school is primary artistic soooo you dont know what to expect during admissions

but thank you very much for your time you really help me

12 December 2012
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread