If Lightwave didn't exist, what 3d package would you go to?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

View Poll Results: What software would you choose?
SoftImage XSI 19 22.62%
3dsmax 5 5.95%
Maya 48 57.14%
Cinema4D 10 11.90%
Houdini 2 2.38%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

THREAD CLOSED

07 July 2003
Ideally XSI. But probabaly Maya.

XSI is good, but not good enough to justify the price.

Maya is very good value for money.

07 July 2003
infini D is fine, so long as you dont want to do anything serious on it. The modeling tools are rubish, and the render is very slow.

its cheap too, is it avalible on PC's, ive only ever used it on a mac.

07 July 2003
I would have to say Maya since I already have a copy of it and know how to use it. But I still have not and probably won't upgrade from v4 to v5. Don't use it enough to justify the price of the upgrade regardless of the new features. FYI I have ulitmate and would want to upgrade to ultimate for the fluid effects but the bucks still twice LW+DFX put together, Excuse me

07 July 2003
I already choose Maya even though LW still exists. The modeling and mental ray process between Maya and XSI are similar. Thus, it's like learning 2 applications for the effort of one. But XSI is too expensive now.

07 July 2003
None or I'd still be using Bryce and Poser as there is NO WAY I could afford any of the others:thumbsdow

07 July 2003
Cinema4d seems to be pretty darn cheap

Welll the educational pricing at least ($300 dollars?!?!?)

07 July 2003
Quote: Originally posted by rock
I already choose Maya even though LW still exists. The modeling and mental ray process between Maya and XSI are similar. Thus, it's like learning 2 applications for the effort of one. But XSI is too expensive now.

Yeah, and I think Mental Ray is already better integrated into Maya than XSI. It's hard to believe SoftImage still haven't fixed the refraction bug in XSI 3.5

07 July 2003
I can use and can get work done in any of the others listed but I wouldn't bother with Cinema4D or Houdini.

But since Lightwave does exist, this poll is somewhat pointless.

07 July 2003
Im my opinion, *ignore Chewey* Maya and Softimage are both the same but one is more expensive then the other for some reasons.

07 July 2003
In my opinion,*ignore G-Prime*, this thread is dumb :thumbsdow (and XSI is much better then Maya in almost every aspect, if XSI lowered it's prices it would put A|W out of business)

07 July 2003
Quote: Originally posted by takkun
In my opinion,*ignore G-Prime*, this thread is dumb :thumbsdow (and XSI is much better then Maya in almost every aspect, if XSI lowered it's prices it would put A|W out of business)

much better than Maya? Integration with renderman? nurbs? paint fx? particles? cloth? dynamics? scripting? fluids? Let's avoid starting a war but they both have their strong and weak points, XSI costs a fortune, Maya doesn't.

07 July 2003
Oh no, here we go again... :annoyed:
Please people, stop this bickering.

07 July 2003
looks like the only direction for this thread is down. ya'll can lock it if you want. sorry.

07 July 2003
Quote: looks like the only direction for this thread is down.
I didn't know that this thread was ever up? Sorry, milqdude but what were you trying to accomplish with this thread anyway?

07 July 2003
I dunno, I just thought it'd be kinda interesting.

Sorry, I suppose I was mistaken.

Thread Closed share thread