Cross application comparison: whats best?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

09 September 2004
Question Cross application comparison: whats best?

It might seem a dumb question to the pros, but I did use the search function to get some opinions-bugger it-I just ask
Up until now I use Jahshaka, cinelerra and the blender sequenzer. But when things get busy, Ill have to have something a bit more reliable and sophisticated. I do quick and dirty video sequences, filler, ads., this kind of stuff

I tried the free versions, but one cannot compare messing around a bit with real McCoy production everyday use. I also tried avid freeDV, but the fact you have to be online to use it?..bummer. Even so, the combination xsi(full version with the compositor + avid is hmm?. also tempting)

I checked the adobe bundle. ae and premiere are quite easy to use, but when I ve seen the shake intro videos at apple.com I was more than impressed.

Unfortunately there is no learning version for shake?.bummer again.
I drove the guy at the apple store mad when I checked the apple pro tools and was again more than impressed with fcp!, just to bad he did not have shake (or was unwilling to let me have a go at it, specially after I hacked into the Darwin backend). Btw. Are there old evaluation versions of shake4linux somewhere on the net? Have there been any? Please let me know.
But as I said, this is far from a real production situation, and I have to take a decision

Anyway: to anybody who worked with any of the mentioned apps?..
What is better:
apple pro tools+ shake or adobe bundle? (or maybe the xsi/avid option)

If you could please briefly give me a hint and opinions, why you think one of the options is better or best

pls. dont tell me to use combustion or any other stuff (hardware). whats best 4 MY needs?

apple pro tools+ shake_____ adobe bundle_____ the xsi/avid option)

thanks a lot in advance...its gonna be expensive and I want to be sure to turn to the right direction in order to avoid the following situation....you know:
"ahhhhh you should have bought this or that,lol,lol,

right now Im here: I need a:

09 September 2004
So if I'm correct you're considering the following combos:
Shake+FCP
AE+Premiere
XSI+AVID

Well first of all, They're all fine products, they will all do what you want it to do, but in a different way.
Personally I'd go with Shake+FCP. Simply because I prefer to work in a node-based environment for compositing. Naturally it's not to say you can't use any other combination of products.
Since according to your description you're more in to a more or less "broadcast type" of workflow I'd recommend After effects, since it's quite fast for doing logos, shapes and various related tasks without having to go and make macros from scratch.

A thing to notice is that XSI is in fact not a compositor application, it's a fullly groomed 3D application which happens to have a built-in composite application. And it is in fact quite note worthy that the XSI FX is missing quite a few options and thus may not be suited for higher end work. That is not to say it's useless, it's quite neat for "quick and dirty" things, but do not expect miracles. On the other hand though if you need to do some 3D work, you can do that in the exact same application without having to resort to seperate 3D application.

One thing to find out which applications are suited for your needs are to take evening courses in those applications for a month or 2 each. They will show you the product on a general level and the time spend there will allow to you play around with the application in question and to do some excersizes and make up your mind on which to buy.

Hope this helps a bit.

-Ronald

09 September 2004
I'm not trying to be a dick here, but I have to close this thread. There are some older versions of software vs software threads if you search the forum. The trouble with these threads is that all this information is subjective to the user and only end in flame wars. You really need to download trials of these software packages yourself and try them out and see what you like the best.

Read Leigh's thread on "IMPORTANT: "Which 3D app should I use?" Threads..." It is at the top of the General Discussion forum. It applies to compositing software also.
http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=19315

I have a large list of compositing apps that is a sticky at the top of the forum:
http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=101533

Also you can get a trial of shake 3.5 here:
http://www.apple.com/shake/trial/
Also it comes with the shake 3 book.

Thread Closed share thread