WSJ: Oscar nominee (Beasts) had 85 of its 120 VFX shots created with free labor

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 03 March 2013   #106
Originally Posted by Andrewty07: I think for both parties in the future they should of done something like the "yellow ribbon program". I am in it because of military background, basically the government pays payments toward my tuition and the school matches it. In this case the production could pay students a chunk toward tuition scaled to how much work they do on the project and the school match it to double the total the student is getting, I figure the school could pay too because they are essentially being a studio with the students as employees. Also from the students perspective it's a no brainer to do the project because of knowing how competitive it is and an employer seeing two similar student reels but one has worked on a feature films the scale will tilt that way.

I am totally in agreement with those that say this practice is sinking the industry. I mean how many films in pre-production are skewing their budgets towards this new industry 'standard' with glee right this minute?!

Frankly if nothing else can be finacially recovered the AAU should stop no-budget productions as a teaching model ASAP. Demand full use of the Beast's plates and assets and have the students 'pretend' to do Beasts year after year as their 'production model course'. That way they have the same production-ready 'chops'. But stop tainting the professional VFX industry with outside work.

The AAU students here are happily praising how their 'careers' got started.
But did they? You got your first 'job' in the industry but how will it be *sustained* into a career if there is no reason to pay VFX artists in the future? What makes you worth more than the next AAU student now?
What makes any of us? If its that cheap to make a film with VFX do you really think the industry is gonna support the inflation rate/standard of living with your career choice for the next *20+* years?

My nephew just finished his Engineering degree. In the middle of his 3rd year he did an Internship at a world famous electronics developement firm. He made $45,000 for his work there (and had a job offer for when he finished school). $45,000 is better than my fist real salary in the VFX industry and he still had a year of school to finish! Its too late for the VFX industry-but this how it could have been had the industry not gone out-of-control in the 90's. Sigh. Yes as far as I am concerned thats when we started losing our way.

Old 03 March 2013   #107
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread