Hotel Transylvania The Reviews are Creeping In!

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 09 September 2012   #1
Hotel Transylvania The Reviews are Creeping In!

A fast, funny and wildly inventive animated tale with enough laughs and heart to appeal to audiences of all ages.

Bruce Demara
Toronto Star

'Scream cheese' is right. In addition to being notably unfunny, the 3-D version of the film is like a black hole sucking all the light out of the theater.

James Verniere
Boston Herald

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/hot...lvania/reviews/

-Rob Note:
Just saw it..and wow it was really bad.
Genndy Tartakovsky is one of the best animation director out there.
But WTH happened?
the concept art shown at the end of the film was more interesting than the film itself.
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

Last edited by RobertoOrtiz : 09 September 2012 at 03:36 PM.

Old 09 September 2012   #2
How is it that the Critics give it a horrible 41%, and the user rating is 82% (or 4.2 / 5 Stars)?

That strikes me as somewhat strange...

Anyway, sorry to hear that it isn't very good. I would have watched it on DVD.

Old 09 September 2012   #3
I thought it was a lot of fun. Some groaner moments, and a mostly by-the-numbers story, but still fun. My main interests were the animation and rigs, though, and neither disappointed.

Old 09 September 2012   #4
Originally Posted by RobertoOrtiz: -Rob Note:
Just saw it..and wow it was really bad.
Genndy Tartakovsky is one of the best animation director out there.
But WTH happened?
the concept art shown at the end of the film was more interesting than the film itself.

Roberto, I don't know if you saw this L.A. Times article on Genndy Tartakovsky when it was originally posted back in August, but it offers some amazingly candid explanations to why the film is the way it is.
Quote: "I was the sixth man in, and it was like being dropped into combat," Tartakovsky said recently at his office on Sony Pictures Animation's Culver City lot. "This movie's been worked for six years already and everybody's kind of bitter.... I've never had so much resistance from everywhere the studio, the artists. It took me a while to get my feet on the ground and win everybody over."

Old 09 September 2012   #5
Wink oh well

Thanks...

Rent the dvd then... it said to hear that this is a project suffering from "too much cook"...

Maybe I should go for Looper then. Ebert said glowing things about it.

Old 09 September 2012   #6
I was torn between my love for Tartakovsky and my hatred of Adam Sandler. Hate won this round.

I will definitely check it out for the animation and artistry later on though, which looked nice even in the trailers.

Enjoyed the hell out of Looper.

Old 09 September 2012   #7
thanks,
The move felt like it was "herded" by someone who had no idea on how to write a kids film.
Brave had issues, but this film had some series issues with character development, story structure, character motivation, editing and story flow.
It honestly felt in terms of structure like a recent Adam Sandler film.

Condering that Genndy Tartakovsky knows what he is doing, I bet the studio and the producers had a lot of editorial control of this flick.

Old 09 September 2012   #8
Trailer looked pretty good. First the Russian accent in Boarderlands was great. The the accent in Despicable me was adorable. This one feels a bit like a me too.

Old 09 September 2012   #9
Originally Posted by Kanga: Trailer looked pretty good. First the Russian accent in Boarderlands was great. The the accent in Despicable me was adorable. This one feels a bit like a me too.

Well to be fair I think it's supposed to be a cliche transylvanian accent, he is a cartoon vampire. Though Adam Sandler doesn't exactly have "range".

Russian Santa is coming up in Rise of the Guardians, though.

"Now say 'nuclear wessels'!" "No."

Old 09 September 2012   #10
Da da,... PAPOI

Old 10 October 2012   #11
'Hotel Transylvania' Scares Up New September Record

Weekend Report: Hotel Transylvania scored an impressive $43 million, while Looper had a solid second place debut...

Old 10 October 2012   #12
Originally Posted by RobertoOrtiz: 'Hotel Transylvania' Scares Up New September Record

Weekend Report: Hotel Transylvania scored an impressive $43 million, while Looper had a solid second place debut...

The BBC reports the same:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-19783559

Old 10 October 2012   #13
It's no prize but it didn't suck either. The kids liked it and other than my son trying to nose dive off of the balcony it was a good time.

Honestly, this movie was tailor made for Sandler. It's pretty much parodies of parodies and he gets to make goofy voices and sing goofy songs. There is nothing risky about it at all and you'll get some yuks out of it. If you don't have kids, I'd pass. Even as a rental.

The animation and overall quality of the CG was quite good I thought.
wyattharris.com Dig it!

Old 10 October 2012   #14
Went to see it cause the kids wanted to see it. My kids liked it, I thought Sandler was a HORRIBLE Dracula, ugh. Had some funny moments but it was just "meh" overall. I have a strong feeling that the suits got in the kitchen quite a bit; you know, "I want a giant mechanical spider" type of thing. Not Gendy's fault, I think he did a fine job with what he had. No reason to cram so many celebrities into this film, that's where the budget went... they ran out of cash to hire good writers.

Old 10 October 2012   #15
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread