Ogre WIP

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

06 June 2013
Ogre WIP

Thought I would start a work in progress thread for my short film Ogre Character. Somewhere to get some feedback and keep track of the progress.

He is quite a bulky guy, mostly humanoid but with quite a lot of Indian Rhino in there too. The lumps on his back are going to be egg sacks - which is part of the film story.

Here are some of the reference images I have been using.

Here is the progress so far. Mainly working on the overall form.

Thanks.
Oliver

06 June 2013
i am trying to understand your character. what are those overlaping parts of the body, are they fats?. also i love how you did its back

06 June 2013
Originally Posted by naves: i am trying to understand your character. what are those overlaping parts of the body, are they fats?. also i love how you did its back

Hi Naves.
Thanks for the comment. Those overlapping parts are a supposed to be a kind of thick skin fold a bit like the Rhino. This acts as an armour. He is also quite fat which adds other skin folds as well.

Thanks.
Oliver

06 June 2013
ok that explains somethings, but the overlapping belly is i bit too much cause that makes him look fat or is that how you intended the character to be

06 June 2013
Quick update.

Here is the image link http://imageshack.us/a/img59/4073/yvt.png

Naves: Yes he is also quite fat especially in the belly area.

I've been working on the fat folds in the hip area to integrate the belly and legs a bit better.

I have increased the hand and feet size a bit. Also refined the shoulder and leg.

Thanks.
Oliver.

Last edited by ollie83 : 06 June 2013 at 09:04 AM.

07 July 2013
Here is a quick update showing some of the detailing.

Thanks.
Oliver.

08 August 2013
Hi all.

Thought I would post a quick update on the Ogre Character.

Finished off the sculpt. It ended up being 5 separate Objects - Head, belly/shoulders, Back, Arms, Legs. Each about 6-8 million faces.

I baked out displacement and normal maps for each.

I then moved onto Texturing. Each part required Diffuse colour, Specular and bump, as well as the Normal Map. Each in 4k.

I have used SSS with quite basic colour radius setting so as to save using a separate Epidermal Map. I Think I can get away with this as the character has quite thick skin.

I then moved onto Shader and particle effects.

There is still some work to be done but I will probably work on some environment stuff and come back to it in a week or two with fresh eyes.

All Comments welcome.
Thanks.
Oliver

08 August 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread