Instructors VS 3D Artists

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

07 July 2013
Originally Posted by MissOptimist: Did you guys know that the owner of Digital Tutors used to be an instructor at a university? And he would make video tutorials for his students to view. He found that the students were able to catch up faster with these video tutorials he had made and that's when "Digital Tutors" was born.

Have any of you thought about creating a website and earning money doing online tutorials?

http://youtu.be/o2P-9WaAIA4

Haha the people who've been active in this have all done some sort of online workshops or video tutorials. Imashination has his own company having produced several DVD's, Leigh's done workshops, wrote a book, I help found Cineversity and produced hundreds there along with a course over at FXPHD.

07 July 2013
Can you believe it? In the video I showed you, the owner of Digital Tutors mentioned he has over 140,000 students and it is $49.99 per month to be a member to watch video tutorials. So he is earning over 7 million dollars...very inspiring

07 July 2013
Originally Posted by MissOptimist: Can you believe it? In the video I showed you, the owner of Digital Tutors mentioned he has over 140,000 students and it is $49.99 per month to be a member to watch video tutorials. So he is earning over 7 million dollars...very inspiring

Errr, he has to pay all those people who make videos for the site.

07 July 2013
Originally Posted by leigh: Errr, he has to pay all those people who make videos for the site.

But he probably gets at least half of 7 mil right? Which still makes him a millionaire

07 July 2013
Originally Posted by MissOptimist: But he probably gets at least half of 7 mil right? Which still makes him a millionaire

I'm sure he's off living on a private tropical island and not blowing that cash on salaries, insurance, taxes, contract workers, legal fees, accounting, advertising, IT support, software & hardware, huge bandwidth fees, tool development or player licensing.

Can't imagine why everybody's not doing this.

07 July 2013
Originally Posted by leigh: I think the biggest problem with CG education is that most lecturers have little to zero actual industry experience, and I think that's very detrimental to students who really should be learning from people with actual firsthand experience.

I'd say that's not just a problem of CG education, but education in general.

07 July 2013
Originally Posted by MissOptimist: But he probably gets at least half of 7 mil right? Which still makes him a millionaire

Its a company now, not just one man any more. 108 tutors listed on their site, a team of 20 something at least people helping with company type things, a dedicated facility and servers site and app development, constantly training to keep up with the softwares, and the cost of the softwares themselves. It's a big business that costs a lot. Oh and bandwidth, holy geeze the bandwidth they must go through.

You need to learn a little more about what's involved in business. I'm sure Piyush Patel is doing well for himself for sure, but there is a lot more to the business than you think.

07 July 2013
I've been teaching full time for almost fours years now after about seven years of doing production work. I make a little less teaching than I did doing production work, and that is the norm in the US. I do have more time off though.

I loved doing production work, but I decided to teach full-time because I really enjoy passing on my knowledge and helping young artists develop their artistic and technical skills.

As some others have said, teaching is not for everyone. You have to love what you're teaching, be very organized and be a very good communicator. You also must have a lot of patience.

The biggest challenge is keeping current with technology and techniques. I spend a lot of my spare time experimenting and learning new techniques so I always stay current. When I was freelancing in NYC and teaching a few classes part-time, I found that a lot of the full-time professors did not keep up and were often teaching outdated techniques. I refuse to be one of those people, but it takes a lot of work and self-motivation.

Being a good teacher also takes a lot of behind the scene preparation. For the beginner and intermediate classes I teach, I make a lot of video tutorials to supplement what I teach in class. This helps the students develop their skills more quickly because they can watch the videos to review the things they forget, rather than getting stuck. But it does take a lot of time to make good tutorials.

As far as money goes, I've found that in general the private not-for-profit schools pay their instructors more than the private for-profit schools and the salaries at public institutions vary. Part-time/adjunct instructors do not get paid very well at most colleges. Using adjuncts is a way for colleges to save money. In general, you won't get paid as much for teaching as doing production work if you are a good 3D artist. And if you aren't a good 3D artist you should not be teaching it.

If you are interested in teaching I suggest starting by teaching a class or two as an adjunct. Most schools have evening sections of courses that adjunct instructors can teach even if they are working other jobs during the day. That way you can see if you like it and if you are any good at teaching. Just make sure you have enough production experience yourself to know you are teaching good production practices.

07 July 2013
A colleague of mine worked as a lecturer/instructor for a 3ds Max arch-viz course and mentioned a payment of 130 per hour which is way above the usual payment you can get around here unless you are a Flame operator or the like. Even with all the preparation time for the lessons it's still more than you can get in production.
That was 6 or 7 years ago though, before here were video tutorials for each and everything.

On the other hand I did a lecturing job in juvi hall last winter and had half of my usual payment.

07 July 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread