Particle instances of PRT/Fume as shape

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

07 July 2013
Particle instances of PRT/Fume as shape

I may be having a brain fart because I swear I've done this before but I'm stuck as of right now. I'm trying to use a fume grid or a PRT (any PRT) as a particle shape.

I'm not using it for anything in particular either, the thought just popped in my head. I guess an example would be if you made a fume cloud and wanted to make a volume of particles that used the fume grid as the particle "shape".

Hoping someone could tell me I'm crazy or shed some light on the correct steps. Again, I swear I've done this in the past. Thanks!

07 July 2013
If I think I think what you are thinking it won't work like you are thinking.

You can however create multiple grids and lock them to the particles transform matrix. Something like this maybe what you are looking for: (forgive the cheesiness of it, it is quite old )

http://4rand.com/2009/04/couple-more-fume-tests/

07 July 2013
Wow, well this was terrifyingly exactly what I was just thinking this could be used for. Call me crazy, but Orbaz or Cebas needs to get on this...

Thanks for the info! Again, I'm pretty much taken aback by how this played out in my view. I thought "you could use this for fume explosions if you cache the points". Then I checked your reply like 5 minutes later.

I even tried using a Box 3 setup to select the Fume Object and then make it's position as the Transform Matrix. Works with standard shapes but no special things like PRT's or Fume Grids. I'm happy I did at very least have the right thought process.

Awesome! Thanks John.

07 July 2013
np

Sadly external object output control is restricted to script ops. There is no reason one couldn't pump a filtered particle ID or ID's into a sub-op and output some values into things like pos/rot/some misc value. Imagine easily piping average particle speed into FumeFX burnrate, I mean you can via script and othery forms of hackery but its a bit of a PITA.

It is a bummer (we have requested) object output and object parameter output. I wish I could say I have high hopes to see it in the future, Orbaz is working hard at the integration of PF tools into max, maybe when that is complete Oleg will start building again, only Oleg knows what Oleg wants to do.

07 July 2013
As a person who has no experience using Maxscript, and more of a visual person, this all sounds fantastic and also terrifying. I really need to delve into it because it would make my life a ton easier. That and an easily approachable Magma learning resource ha.

I hope Oleg starts building again. I'm surprised how far Autodesk has got with every release of Max. First they added box 2, now Box 3, with a name change. There's nothing left to add. :(

Again, thanks for all the help though, John

07 July 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread