SketchUp importer

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  06 June 2013
>We can bring in the Google Earth terrain and map into C4D using FBX. So that would not be anything new.

the point is to get off of this fixed model paradagim and use real geographic data to create a dynamic, and to all intents and purposes infinitely scalable, yet realtime, world/model/scene.

as soon as you convert anything to fbx,obj,dxf your basically trashing all the interesting stuff.

If you just want a good old fixed model there are plenty of ways to do all that and I am personally not interested in any of them.

Have you even looked at DEM Earth ?
What I want is to be able to take models from sketchup(specificaly buildings),bring them onto DEM Earth and use the information that is already there to do this. By converting to fbx & co , you destry the real information and with it any hope doing anything clever with it.

There are also a lot of good reasons to go for kml as it would allow the display of labels and features,ect , over DEM Earth automatically. There is so much juicy stuff that could be done with this information.


regards
Paul

Last edited by tapaul : 06 June 2013 at 11:53 AM.
 
  06 June 2013
wow, i see what you make, making of pipe-line between your plug-ins. I think thats nice and great. This is rare thing in complex development.

Quote: What I want is to be able to take models from sketchup(specificaly buildings),bring them onto DEM Earth and use the information that is already there to do this. By converting to fbx & co , you destry the real information and with it any hope doing anything clever with it.

There are also a lot of good reasons to go for kml as it would allow the display of labels and features,ect , over DEM Earth automatically. There is so much juicy stuff that could be done with this information.

I see, you got data as sketchup gets kmz-data(collada .dae + geo-referencing data)
 
  06 June 2013
that sounds very promising Paul!
__________________
V-Ray on FB:: http://www.facebook.com/vrayforc4d
http://VRAYforC4D.net
http://www.3dtools.info
http://rhino.io
 
  06 June 2013
Originally Posted by tapaul: >We can bring in the Google Earth terrain and map into C4D using FBX. So that would not be anything new.

the point is to get off of this fixed model paradagim and use real geographic data to create a dynamic, and to all intents and purposes infinitely scalable, yet realtime, world/model/scene.


There are times when a fixed model is desired, but an infinitely scalable and realtime model option at the same time would best. Fixed+Scalable+Realtime

Originally Posted by tapaul: as soon as you convert anything to fbx,obj,dxf your basically trashing all the interesting stuff.


Yes, and it contains no other data except point data. The model does not know where it came from or what it is representing. The scale is also fixed with the GET example.

Originally Posted by tapaul: If you just want a good old fixed model there are plenty of ways to do all that and I am personally not interested in any of them.


Back to the discussion of scale, it depends on what you are looking at. Local street, city scale, region scale, and larger.

Originally Posted by tapaul: Have you even looked at DEM Earth ?
What I want is to be able to take models from sketchup(specificaly buildings),bring them onto DEM Earth and use the information that is already there to do this. By converting to fbx & co , you destry the real information and with it any hope doing anything clever with it.


Yes, I have looked at DEM Earth. I have been following all of your developments from back in 2009 with some of the City Engine 2.0 stuff. Your work most fits urban designers.

Originally Posted by tapaul: There are also a lot of good reasons to go for kml as it would allow the display of labels and features,ect , over DEM Earth automatically. There is so much juicy stuff that could be done with this information.l


I think you have already got us interested in this new offering. Smart data, and geographical information is a plus over the standard options. I look for any other deep features that are resident in SketchUp that would be great to have on the C4D side that is not available through FBX.
__________________
digitecture.org
Design|Energy|Computation


 
  06 June 2013
>There are times when a fixed model is desired
you can , at any time , do a CSTO with DEM Earth. I see no advantage in a fixed model, you just end up with the muther of all meshes to get the detail you want and you have to line up texture pretty much "by hand". I dont think I ever want to go back to that crap.

Anyhow, I am going for the kml/kmz importer. Basically to make it easier for anybody to get images from google earth (or from wherever the kml is being exported from )over into DEM Earth without any messing around. The by-product of which will be automated label/way import and all sorts of other juicy bits and bobs that come with this "muther of all formats".

This KML importer will be part of DEM Earth with the rudimentry stuff (sat image import) being free and the other juicy stuff (that take time to implement) probably being a paid option.

That will kill 2 birds with one stone (and keep me sane for a couple of months)


Its the weather right?

regards
Paul

Last edited by tapaul : 06 June 2013 at 11:17 PM.
 
  06 June 2013
Originally Posted by tapaul: >There are times when a fixed model is desired
you can , at any time , do a CSTO with DEM Earth. I see no advantage in a fixed model, you just end up with the muther of all meshes to get the detail you want and you have to line up texture pretty much "by hand". I dont think I ever want to go back to that crap.

Anyhow, I am going for the kml/kmz importer. Basically to make it easier for anybody to get images from google earth (or from wherever the kml is being exported from )over into DEM Earth without any messing around. The by-product of which will be automated label/way import and all sorts of other juicy bits and bobs that come with this "muther of all formats".

This KML importer will be part of DEM Earth with the rudimentry stuff (sat image import) being free and the other juicy stuff (that take time to implement) probably being a paid option.

That will kill 2 birds with one stone (and keep me sane for a couple of months)


Its the weather right?

regards
Paul


I like the response.

The fixed model comes in handy if someone wants to 3DPRINT the terrain model. The terrain model might be an existing area of land with a proposed new construction model. Imagine 3Dprint of the terrain and concept construction model where you can pick either of them up with your hands.

Your DEM Earth presents a fine test of new capabilities in the future where 3DPRINTS print in full color resolution.
__________________
digitecture.org
Design|Energy|Computation


 
  06 June 2013
I'd likely buy this, depending on the price and features.
__________________
Jonah Tobias
 
  06 June 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.
__________________
CGTalk Policy/Legalities
Note that as CGTalk Members, you agree to the terms and conditions of using this website.
 
Thread Closed share thread



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
CGSociety
Society of Digital Artists
www.cgsociety.org

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright 2000 - 2006,
Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Minimize Ads
Forum Jump
Miscellaneous

All times are GMT. The time now is 01:05 PM.


Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.