DreamWorks Animation To Produce First Netflix Original Series For Kids

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

02 February 2013
DreamWorks Animation To Produce First Netflix Original Series For Kids

Quote:
"Up to now execs at cable networks such as Nickelodeon that syndicate their kids shows to Netflix say the streamed viewing doesn’t cannibalize conventional TV watching. But we’ll see whether they’re as forgiving in December when Netflix introduces its first original kids show, Turbo: F.A.S.T. (Fast Action Stunt Team) – based on DreamWorks Animation’s upcoming theatrical film Turbo – in the U.S. and 40 other countries."

http://www.deadline.com/2013/02/dre...riginal-series/
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

02 February 2013
Cool stuff. I'm very intrigued to see how Netflix does with original content, it's been working for the premium cable channels for a while and I have to think will be a big windfall for them when new Arrested Development episodes release later this year.

If Netflix gets to the point of having people subscribe for not only movies and tv shows but original content they're going to become a very interesting player in the entertainment/cable space.

02 February 2013
Another write-up: http://www.thewrap.com/tv/article/n...urbo-fast-77286

Working for 839, this is obviously good news as we're very interested in the health and prosperity of Dreamworks Animation. However, this also points to the shift in the business and the overall revenue streams. With the changes in production company management teams, and the pullback of schedules and projects we've witnessed in the last year, its obvious that a lot is changing.

While the present seems bleak, I remain positive about the future. No matter what form the business takes, it sure loves its animation and visual effects.
vfxunion.org

02 February 2013
Originally Posted by SteveKaplan: Another write-up: http://www.thewrap.com/tv/article/n...urbo-fast-77286

Working for 839, this is obviously good news as we're very interested in the health and prosperity of Dreamworks Animation. However, this also points to the shift in the business and the overall revenue streams. With the changes in production company management teams, and the pullback of schedules and projects we've witnessed in the last year, its obvious that a lot is changing.

While the present seems bleak, I remain positive about the future. No matter what form the business takes, it sure loves its animation and visual effects.

If rumors and speculation are to believed, Netflix paid $78 million for a season of House of Cards. Part of me feels like Netflix wouldn't pay nearly that much for a cartoon, and even then $78 million seems razor thin for 3+ hours of animation(6-8 episodes in a 30 minute slot?).

Don't get me wrong, I hope this works out favorably for Dreamworks, but I'm hesitant there's much money to be had in a deal like this.

02 February 2013
Originally Posted by MaxBickley: Don't get me wrong, I hope this works out favorably for Dreamworks, but I'm hesitant there's much money to be had in a deal like this.

I didn't mean to imply that this should be considered the sole revenue source for the project. Obviously Turbo will have a theatrical release as well as merchandising. This is another way to get the IP into the hearts and minds of the purchasing decision makers .. aka The Kids.
vfxunion.org

02 February 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread