realistic trees ressources

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

11 November 2012
realistic trees ressources

here are a list of geometry tree resources, with the first 3 presenting the most believable geometry (not discussing shading here):
Onyx
i-tress
archmodels
speedtree
x-frog

Its good to see the result of competition, a few years ago there were only 2 or 3 good resources.
Do you have any good or better resources to chair?

11 November 2012
iTrees come from GrowFX software. As usual it is only for 3DS Max though;

But I think it is the best plugin for trees. Apparently devs are considering Maya version, they have to write the code for the UI but they mention this several years ago so I doubt it'll happen.

http://exlevel.com/tutorials/

Watching demos on youtube, it's like how Paintfx should be when it comes to plants. Especially now we are almost in 2013. Its sad that paintfx is not really touched majorly for many, many years now. It has the potential.

Edit: not that really helps thread! I'm happy enough with Onyx.

Last edited by Hamburger : 11 November 2012 at 12:05 AM.

11 November 2012
Pretty much dropped Onyx entirely for SpeedTree. The latter being the superior application in almost every way, by far.

11 November 2012
Originally Posted by DutchDimension: Pretty much dropped Onyx entirely for SpeedTree. The latter being the superior application in almost every way, by far.

Is the sky sensitive attribute integrated into their trees? I have seen their recent galleries, slight improvement from old versions, but still no realistic leaves disposition yet, they still look a bit "fuzzy" with unnatural randomness like Xfrog trees.

And I still couldn't see convincing lowpoly trees in their galleries, maybe I am missing something?

11 November 2012
Originally Posted by royterr: Is the sky sensitive attribute integrated into their trees? I have seen their recent galleries, slight improvement from old versions, but still no realistic leaves disposition yet, they still look a bit "fuzzy" with unnatural randomness like Xfrog trees.

And I still couldn't see convincing lowpoly trees in their galleries, maybe I am missing something?

Yes, leaves have a sky sensitivity control as well as a whole bunch of other attributes to control placement, orientation, scale, weighting, etc. with lots of control to vary it across the tree canopy. In fact it's far superior to Onyx Tree's, who's sky sensitivity is merely an on/off switch with no further control over it.

You also have full control over Phyllotaxis and can program in any angle you prefer.

Furthermore, don't like something about a leaf, twig, branch? You can override any procedural control after the fact.

I too wasn't impressed with their example trees. Their library isn't a good indicator of photo realistic trees. Which is why I build my own trees from scratch.

I'll say it again, Onyx Tree, I might as well delete it from my computer. It's been well and truly outclassed.

Last edited by DutchDimension : 11 November 2012 at 08:58 AM.

11 November 2012
500, 900 and 5000 Dollars!!! Ho Lee Sheet.

Blog

11 November 2012
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread