texture - How much is too much?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 09 September 2013   #1
texture - How much is too much?

Hello everyone,

I'm really new to modelling and texturing, especially texturing.

This is the model I've come up with for a short film.

After testing different sized textures, from unwrapping the whole object onto 1 uv map at 1k, 2, 4k and 8k with made my computer freeze, i still wasn't happy with the results.

I ended up making multiple uv maps, so far 1 for each door. The door with the test uv is alone 4k.

I suppose my question is this, is this normal? Or is it overkill? I have no idea! I want it to be used in a short film, and from multiple angles ans some quite close up. Anything below 4k seems to be really pixel heavy, even the 4k sometimes. I have no idea what they do it television or film but I'm guessing they must split the uv's up like this right?!

if that is the case, how would you go about dividing this up into uv sheets, is 4k for a door too much?

And finally, any good photo real texture tutorials anyone can point me to? I've found plenty of photoshop paint tutorials, but i want something they might try in films. the one I threw up on the door was just a quick PS test run but I need to try something a LOT better.

Anyway, thanks for any help.

Cheers.

Old 09 September 2013   #2
this depends on your needs... if the camera is getting close tho the objects you need more resolution...

its not uncommon to use hundreds of 4k textures...

Old 09 September 2013   #3
it really does depend on what you are doing with the asset.

as Oglu said, if its close to camera then of course you will need more.
its is far away in the sky then you would need alot less.

one way to check if you know the general layout of where it will be in relation to the camera is to attach a 2X2 checker texture. then up the repeat uv to say 1000X1000.
this would equal a 2k testure.

render at your intented final render resolution.

If you can see artifacts or the checkers then this isnt enough and you would need a bigger map/maps.

it is a quick and pretty reliable way to test needed resolution.

Old 10 October 2013   #4
I think the rule of thumb goes 2x what will be the final resolution on screen.

So take the resolution of your intended final image, then work back from there in terms of how close will the object be to the camera/how much of that screen will the object take up. Then you want to double that for your textures.

Marque Pierre Søndergaard
Texture Artist!
- Blog - IMDb

Old 10 October 2013   #5
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread