3ds max: Animate through multiple Spline-shapes

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 11 November 2012   #1
Question 3ds max: Animate through multiple Spline-shapes

Hi folks,

this is probably a noob question. In the Picture u see a spline (with and witouht render-mesh). I want to animate the deformation of the Spline/Vertices, without assigning each vertex to a keyframe.
First i thought i can do this via the Morpher-Modificator, but the animation happening there was not the one i was looking for.

Is there a chance to rig/save the Vertex-Coordinates to a Manipulator. So i can easily go from Shape1 over Shape2 to Shape3?

cheers

criss
Attached Images
File Type: jpg zwischenablage02.jpg (72.2 KB, 13 views)

Old 11 November 2012   #2
More info, please. What exactly are you trying to do? Why wasn't the result morpher gave you adequate?

You can simply skin the spline and give each vertex a control object (alternatively, use spline_select + linked_xform on each vert). Other than that, morpher is usually the one used for "saving Vertex-Coordinates". If you need more control, you can make morph targets for each vertex separately; if you delete the morph targets from the scene, morpher only keeps the vert's offset info, so it's not as size and resource heavy as one might think, although that would be cumbersome to setup.

Old 11 November 2012   #3
I animate splines like that all the time, and the method above works well. However, it might be a bit tedious to set up, so you can use the modifier "Spline IK" instead which automatically creates a helper for each vertex on the spline and links the vertices to the helpers. If you want to animate it in a way that it remains the same length - like you would with a chain for instance, then you can look into the spline ik solver, although it's not very practical per my little experience with it.

For saving "poses", you can easily just make keys on the helpers and copy them elsewhere by shift-dragging them in the timeline.

Old 11 November 2012   #4
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread