How to use Loomis's books?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 07 July 2008   #1
How to use Loomis's books?

I'm seld taught, and decided to start off with Andrew Loomis's books( begin with "hand & head drawing" for precise), but I don't know how to use it. I've started drawing a few page already but is drawing those pics and read the text inside good enough? Any advice if I start off like this.( I'm really not in a position to take a serious art course)

Old 07 July 2008   #2
Read it, draw it, understand it, then practice. Don't just blindly copy page to page. Take the examples he gives, try them out and then expand on them with your own study from life, from classical masters and from photography.

Old 07 July 2008   #3
Thanks alot. Now I see all the meaning of these books.

Old 07 July 2008   #4
i have the same problem you have
When I'm in front of this kind of books, I can't find a way to use them
If I just read them, it seems that it's not enough. If I copy the examples, it seems a little boring ^^
This is the way i found: i read and copy them for a little time, then i sketch freely and frequently I see that I advice in my sketching the teachings of the book....so they are better fixed in my mind....
....if it makes any sense to you ^^

Old 07 July 2008   #5
You really have to study every little curve in the examples and every word the artists in those books say.

Or you can just sketch all the time. You know... while everyone is being told what to believe on their tv's you could be learning human anatomy and making discoveries and enhancing your life through art.

Old 07 July 2008   #6
alicelefay: Sure it does. It seem to be the only real way to use the book. Wanna master it in a month. I really desperately need to get good at drawing portrait.

Lexalotacus: Doing those arty things is kinda boring too. Normally I would just sketch all the monsters and heroes I like, but then they don't looks good enough (wrong perspective, little detail...) so I would like to improve it. How do you find the motivation then?

Old 07 July 2008   #7
Well correct me if im wrong, but from what I've discovered there are three types of people when you talk about art. There are people that dont do art, there are people that have to do art, and there are people that like the idea of being an artist but dont have the drive.

What separates the artist from the non-artist is the fact that motivation to do art comes from anywhere. They get bummed and stuck in ruts like everyone else but an artist always pushes through and breaks those barriers.

Just my $0.02.

Old 07 July 2008   #8
Think I'm motivated enough to do it, it's no big deal. Some times I just get a little frustrated cause it won't advance very fast, and 1 good experiment takes hours too. Other than that it's not bad at all.

Old 08 August 2008   #9
i think its important to understand what im reading. what i want to learn from the books are the principles, the core, not how the author draws an object from a certain perspective. however, i sometimes loosely copy a few examples to help me remember more easily in the future.

Old 08 August 2008   #10
Thumbs up drawing

I learn to drawn from ebooks and it is verry good(http://figure-drawings.com/) and the Virtual Art Academy website,it give you a good support. You known the books help you well but think in shapes. every element have a shape , like a circel,or triangle and so one. I hope that I help up the good way.

Old 08 August 2008   #11
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread