who can call themself an ARTIST?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 05 May 2005   #76
Originally Posted by jmBoekestein: But...what if the label has a million bucks written on it......what then? What is your work worth?

I guess a million bucks ??? HEY - I'll take it!

Gord

My Anatomy Thread

My Website

Good Facial Expressions Resource:

http://www.artnatomia.net/uk/artnatomy.html

Old 05 May 2005   #77
Originally Posted by Sylanya: Personally, and I don't mean to insult anyone, it's just my opinion, but I think that people take the label of "artist" way to seriously. I mean, say someone asks you what you do. You tell them you paint. And they respond, "oh! you're an artist?". Are you going to say "no, I haven't earned that title yet."? And how do you know if you've earned that title? Hmmm?

To me, an artist is someone who is creative, and is able to express that creativity in their artwork, be it photography, painting, sculpting, drawing, whatever. Expressing ideas is what makes a person into an artist, and since most "artists" express their ideas and their creative, then they are fully within their rights to call themselves an artist. No one can take that right away from an artist no matter how much they may hate their work. Some people are just less open than others.

It really is all a matter of opinion, so therefore it up to the artist whether they want that title or not.

I call myself an artist because I am able to express my thoughts and beliefs in a particular medium. I call myself an artist because I have heart in my art. I wouldn't call myself anything else when it came to art, because what I am doing is art.

And one more thing, for all of the people who are too humble to call themselves an art (no offense meant by the way), but if you aren't an "artist" then what are you?

Just my thoughts on the matter...don't mind me.

i agree,basically what i said in a more detailed way.

Old 05 May 2005   #78
I'd go so far as to say that those who have very big ideas of what is an artist, ofwhat you should achieve to become one, may not become artists as quickly as the ones who just do their thing and let people call them by what ever title appropriate.

Old 05 May 2005   #79
Hence vanity has been named a sin in many cultures, it stops you from seeing reality for what it is. But enough of that allready.
modelling practice #1

Old 05 May 2005   #80
Interesting topic. When I was in Commercial Art class in high school, the teacher had a huge plaque over her desk and I will never forget what was inscribed on it.

Those who work with their hands are Laborers.
Those who work with their hands and their head are Craftspeople.
Those who work with their hands, their heads and their hearts are Artists.

Now, I don't know about any of the rest of you, but we old farts who have spent way too much time laboring on crap we hate and being crafty at a dead-end career, are more than willing and happy to use our skills to produce something we love. Isn't that worthy of being an artist?

Old 05 May 2005   #81
how old is that plaque?

heh.

Old 05 May 2005   #82
Originally Posted by NOOB!: how old is that plaque?

heh.

Okay - well I paraphrased it to make it PC. But you get the point.

Old 05 May 2005   #83
MKstudios - Actually that's a lovely quote. Do you know where it originates from? I'd like to add it to the Pearls of Wisdom sticky thread.

Old 05 May 2005   #84
I read that same quote on a billboard at a heat exchanger company I worked for a few years ago....

Another one I thought was nice:

Everyone's work, whether it be literature, or music, or architecture or anything else, is always a portrait of oneself.
Samuel Butler

Old 05 May 2005   #85
Judging by the amount of work that goes into profiling a criminal properly I'd say that's a big over simplification. But it might be true to some degree.
modelling practice #1

Old 05 May 2005   #86
Originally Posted by cha0t1c1: I think an artist is the successfull person at achieving an accurate expression translation of a thaught, an emotion, or a POV...

I agree with this, no matter what kind of art it is (drawing, painting, musical, cullinary ect.) I think art is an expression of emotion and feeling.

Old 05 May 2005   #87
Originally Posted by Lunatique: MKstudios - Actually that's a lovely quote. Do you know where it originates from? I'd like to add it to the Pearls of Wisdom sticky thread.

Thanks L! The sign didn't actually give a credit, so I'm not sure exactly where it came from. But it has certainly always been inspirational.

Old 05 May 2005   #88
Smile

I call myself an artist. Though in the early stages of them all. Recently seen the light so to speak. I play the guitar, paint, sculpt, draw, graphic design, and 3d stuff. I am student of them all.

Now, how original am i. Not that much. I'm enjoying recreating reality for the moment.

Old 05 May 2005   #89
Question

People who do art with their hearts and beliefs.
Expressing themselves in their work.

There are Artist and there are Artist.. just some of them don't fit some people definition of one, doesn't make them less of an Artist.

Variety, difference, is the basis of human nature.

Denying that, can you still call yourself one who is qualify to judge others?

I think not.

So, IMO, One who can call himself an Artist - is the one who feels he has the right to be called one. Doesn't matter if everyone in the world disagrees with him.
In his personal space, he is still Master supreme.

It doesnt' mean that I will agree with the said man on his personal title though.
But it's just a title, why bother with it that much?

How far your personal world goes is judge by how much you accept others.
Same as How much you can shoulder a responsibilty/burden is a measure of your abilities.

Those who goes around judging others are soon to find out how little space their own world has in the end.

Old 05 May 2005   #90
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread