Jose Villafranca - Sketchbook

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

04 April 2018
Jose Villafranca - Sketchbook

So heres some of my work ive been doing for practice

Generic Zombie:

My take on the Metaluna Mutant:

Generic Dwarve:

Innsmouth dude

And Generic Orc:

04 April 2018
This guy is from an old project that i never finished:

Recently i've been playing a bit too much warframe so i made a fan art, my take on one of the characters called Oberon

04 April 2018
I had fun doing this guy before starting my next game character. I might retopo and texture this guy later one.

04 April 2018
About time.

04 April 2018
Nice seeing your sketchbook thread Jose
You got some really awesome models in here and they just keep getting better. Mr. Bones is so cool, that hard surface detailing is super nice.

04 April 2018
Originally Posted by martintk: Nice seeing your sketchbook thread Jose
You got some really awesome models in here and they just keep getting better. Mr. Bones is so cool, that hard surface detailing is super nice.
Thanks! i should've been posting here from the start, ill start posting all my WIPs here as well. it was fun and relaxing doing the detailing on that guy haha

04 April 2018
Originally Posted by Travis: About time.
Haha, yeah. I don't know why i hadn't started one earlier.

04 April 2018
Hey Jose! I love seeing all my old classmates and friends post up in this sketchbook forum. I'll definitely be following your sketchbook thread jose!

In addition to Martin's comments, another cool trick is if you have a target model photo reference (actor reference, model figure reference, etc.), you can just overlay the photo reference over the 3D base and see if it's working for you. If the forms line up at least the general proportions are working for you.

Keep it up Jose.

04 April 2018
Thanks for the tips guys! I totally forgot to add the reference for the face Martin. I always forget you can overlay images inside of zbrush thanks for the tip Michael!
Heres the reference for the face

04 April 2018
Originally Posted by JoseVillafranca: Thanks for the tips guys! I totally forgot to add the reference for the face Martin. I always forget you can overlay images inside of zbrush thanks for the tip Michael!
Heres the reference for the face

Yea no problem Jose. You can also bring your Zbrush render in Photoshop and check proportions there too. Also, if things need to be adjusted, do a quick liquify pass in Photoshop so you can give yourself a plan moving forward. It's much easier to push pixels in Photoshop than in ZBrush. I believe it was either Ian Joyner or Josh Herman that gave me that tip.

By the way, great reference to work with! Also, with the face, from a scale of 1 to 10, 1 being stylized to 10 being photo-realistic, what level of realism/stylization are you trying to hit? You can reference a game, animation, or film title if you'd like.

04 April 2018
Hmm, Im thinking about a 7 o r 8 on stylization scale. a game that i think is an 8 would be gears of war 4 although this is a titanfall character i think i would like her to look more like this. im also looking forward to adding material variety and working on clothes in marvelous. i really want this one to be a full quality character

04 April 2018
So this week i couldn't make as much progress as i would've wanted to on my character although i already started working on her jacket in marvelous and feel its looking pretty good so far! ill post an update on her later.
The main reason i didn't work on her that much is because i was invited by a local college to talk about my work during design week This is something id normally say no to, buut im trying to say yes more to this kinds of things. ill mostly talk about the basics of content creation for games, and i worked on a quick character bust to demo my workflow.

This is the guy im working on

04 April 2018
Pure sexiness!

04 April 2018
Finally finished baking on my demo project, now im off to substance! after that ill return to my Titanfall character

Wireframe

Last edited by JoseVillafranca : 04 April 2018 at 07:41 AM.

1 Week Ago
build her out with more classical femine details to start you can make her look tougher later but right now make sure her shoulders are narower than her hips, get rid of the definition in the neck. Its a habbit of a lot of modelers to model in the anatomy or structure but remember for every muscle group that flex's contracts the counter expands so you wont see the tricep and the bicep fully flexed stuff like that. Womens power is in their legs so take that into consideration. it might make it more interesting to give her powerful legs but weaker arms. take a look at hurdelers. The way I always propose and art direct to my modelers is to give their character one super power, whatever that feature is something else has to fall back. This will make your character have human quality not manaquin.

Your costume work so far is Kliller doing great there kneed pad backs look awesome. im not sure about the cuffs and bootom of the jacket but your following a concept so no sense spending time criting there. Belts handle a ton of stress and movement so give it history and weight to reflect that. not so sure about the shoulder pads as well as they appear to not really have support but again following a concept.

this is really good though keep it up and post your updates

reply share thread