CGTalk > Techniques > Texturing and Surfacing
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 07-04-2013, 10:43 AM   #1
Archaeronist
portfolio
Singapore

Puzzling texturing behavior

Hi, I'm new to this forum. I dropped by because I recently came across a model and set of textures from a Japanese game.

The mesh in question:

Now, it looks like an ordinary mesh (albeit low-poly) but things get weird when I apply textures. Look at the above picture, and note that the 'wings' are mostly trapezium/rectangular in shape.
Now look at what happens when the 'wings' are textured.

And for the other wing:

It's bizzare because the wing textures actually render sections of the mesh invisible (rather than causing them to blend in with the background). As you can see from the pictures below, with the wireframe highlighted, the wings (in their rectangular form) obstruct the arm but fail to do this once textured.

I'm curious as to how this was done. If you know, it would be great if you could direct me to a relevant tutorial. Thanks!

Old 07-10-2013, 10:56 AM   #2
cgsena
Veteran
portfolio
Priyankar
Kolkata, India

Hi,

The effect that you are seeing are the effects of transparency map or opacity map. I really don't have any link for that but if you want to know go and search for opacity map/ transparency map in the relevant software. You will get that.

Just for your help I would like to add, If you put a black and white texture inside opacity or transparency slot, the black portion will get transparent/invisible and white portion will remain opaque/visible.

Regards,

Old 07-10-2013, 10:56 AM   #3
CGTalk Moderation
Expert
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread