New Autodesk initiative puts Max and Maya in your browser

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

11 November 2013
Originally Posted by thev: I suppose that many people could actually find it useful once they try it and once the various little technical issues are sorted out (yep I actually played with this). Oh and you need a very good internet connection...

Perhaps they are not; but other people may be. It won't be the first time someone takes confidential information from NSA and makes it public... For example, if you ask me if I would put the V-Ray source code in the cloud so that I can use a cloud workstation for my day-to-day development work, I'm not sure how I would feel about it. On the one side, I realize that in all probability nothing bad is going to happen. But, on the other side, I feel quite uneasy about it.

Best regards,
Vlado

I work on Dropbox and pay for the Ratpack feature. It saves previous versions either way, but as long as you pay for it, it won't delete it. Plus, its super easy to roll something back. Very handy for code.

Then again, my source code isn't at all that valuable.

11 November 2013
Originally Posted by axiomatic: Yeah, so the cloud ain't got MPAA approval...

Actually after joking about this with a colleague her pointed out that Shotgun have been trying to get MPAA approval and seem to be almost (if not already there) as a result of moving to Amazon S3.

So it's possible that the cloud can be considered at least safe enough that the MPAA will certify it. I guess they (and the people they represent) care less about the NSA than they do about other hackers.

This ignores the argument that the NSA has decreased security and encryption quality and just focuses on industry standards of course.
Critcal feedback example #62: "Well instead of the Stalinist purges and the divorce and the investigation ... it could be about losing a balloon."

11 November 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread