mia_material for realistic leaves

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

03 March 2014
Originally Posted by royterr: AO just doesn`t recognize leaves transparency with the mia_material, it only sees a poly plane.

I thought the issue had been resolved way back, but lo and behold. I'm starting to feel that things like this are becoming the final straw for me with MR. It's 2014, damnit!...

Here's a quick test with a checker in opacity. One render where both the floor and the plane has AO (with color bleed), and one with no AO. It's subtle in this example, but I've had cases where it was anything but subtle. It messes up sampling and overall shading.

Granted, if you render with Brute Force FG and Unified Sampling, AO is handled differently, and not needed through the material, but it sure is annoying, and should just work...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg test1.jpg (44.3 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg test2.jpg (51.0 KB, 23 views)

Last edited by aenrii : 03 March 2014 at 06:00 PM.

03 March 2014
what do you mean? I always used Unified Sampling along with the mia AO? what does FG brute force change regarding o AO? what`s the workflow?

Last edited by royter : 03 March 2014 at 10:57 PM.

03 March 2014
Originally Posted by royterr: what do you mean? I always used Unified Sampling along with the mia AO? what does FG brute force change regarding o AO? what`s the workflow?

Well the idea is that with Brute Force Indirect Lighting AO is redundant, as that happens automatically in a Brute Force rendering setup. Though things like these opacity map issues makes me doubt MR alltogether. So in essence if you render using Final Gather Mode set to "No FG Caching"—this is Brute Force Final Gather. See it as something similar to Arnold, or VRay's Brute Force mode.

Beware that this is extremely slow in most cases, but also happens immediately with the sampling (so you won't see FG build before render), but on the other hand usually doesn't require accuracy settings higher than, say 40, for most well lit scenarios.

Man... I am bummed to see that this Opacity Map/AO bug is still around. The final straws with MR are adding up for me.

03 March 2014
"mental" ray is no misnomer, for certain. Ain't no picnic!

Vray looks more attractive every year. With no new FX chips planned, perhaps I can get the boss to spring for it instead of the yearly hardware upgrade, this year.

"Like stone we battle the wind... Beat down and strangle the rains..."

03 March 2014
Originally Posted by aenrii: Well the idea is that with Brute Force Indirect Lighting AO is redundant, as that happens automatically in a Brute Force rendering setup. Though things like these opacity map issues makes me doubt MR alltogether. So in essence if you render using Final Gather Mode set to "No FG Caching"—this is Brute Force Final Gather. See it as something similar to Arnold, or VRay's Brute Force mode.

Beware that this is extremely slow in most cases, but also happens immediately with the sampling (so you won't see FG build before render), but on the other hand usually doesn't require accuracy settings higher than, say 40, for most well lit scenarios.

Man... I am bummed to see that this Opacity Map/AO bug is still around. The final straws with MR are adding up for me.

So when using Bute force, you simply urn off AO on mateials.
And o do that you simply set FG mode to ``no caching``which doesn`t generate FG flicker in animations, right?

03 March 2014
Originally Posted by royterr: So when using Bute force, you simply urn off AO on mateials.
And o do that you simply set FG mode to ``no caching``which doesn`t generate FG flicker in animations, right?

I'm not entirely sure if you need to actually turn it off. It should disregard it altogether during Brute Force, but I'd do a quick test with a checker texture to confirm. You never know with Mental Ray.
Yes, flicker should be eliminated with brute force. As everything is handled by Unified Sampling. You might need to add some filtering though (start with 1 in filter, and see if that suffices), then slightly up the accuracy as needed. This is to eliminate indirect artifacts which can happen during all things FG, as you probably know. 1 secondary bounce should suffice for 99% of the cases (not only Brute Force, just as a rule of thumb), so set secondary bounces to 0 and work your way up as needed.

Post any findings you make, always good to know.

Ps. Check out these posts on Elemental Ray; https://elementalray.wordpress.com/...y/final-gather/

Cheers.

03 March 2014
Originally Posted by InfernalDarkness: "mental" ray is no misnomer, for certain. Ain't no picnic!

Vray looks more attractive every year. With no new FX chips planned, perhaps I can get the boss to spring for it instead of the yearly hardware upgrade, this year.

Yes indeed, I'm considering getting 3.0 when it's released for Maya... Though I tend to use Arnold more and more along side Mental Ray.

04 April 2014
Originally Posted by InfernalDarkness: "mental" ray is no misnomer, for certain. Ain't no picnic!

Hehe, I recall in a vegetation thread (may have even been this one?) me suggesting tongue in cheek V-ray to you and you adamantly refuting my suggestion :P

Though interestingly, the best vegetation I see is usually done in Mental Ray, I think because by its more difficult nature it requires a better understanding, thus leading to better results IMO.

04 April 2014
To be honest, my main issue with landscape scenes isn't so much mental ray anymore. After awhile you kinda figure out the quirks and things that work and don't work - hell, I spent two hours this morning messing with the stupid Camera Depth pass to spit out a proper z-depth again! So stuff like that seems to work better in Vray.

But for me, it's the scattering/placing of instances and such that's the real time consumer. I'm looking forward to playing with Xgen though, maybe that'll save the day and let me spend more time creating and less time diagnosing scenes.

Vray would be nice for my arch/viz work, though I've used mental so long there really wouldn't be many advantages at this point.

"Like stone we battle the wind... Beat down and strangle the rains..."

reply share thread