Environment artist as a job

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

09 September 2012
Question Environment artist as a job

Hello there. I have a question to ask to all Vue users. I love creating renders with this program and I love generally it's UI and systems. But I don't know if learning that software will help me find a job. I like the idea of Environment artist but I think it's not that easy. Could this software be used as a standalone tool to work on? Thanks in advance.

09 September 2012
It can be used as a standalone program. You will still need a modeling program that you would import into Vue from. The e-on Facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/#!/eonsoftware shows some renders done with Vue. Though a lot of it is artsy fartsy stuff, Vue can do environmental shots. Download the PLE version of Vue to see if it runs on your computer.

09 September 2012
Sorry I wasn't very specific. I'm running Vue 10 XStream (with some artifacts in my viewports but that is due to my GPU and I know it) for quite a time. I'm already fan of the facebook page. Apart from that I know Maya. My question if by knowing these two programs only I will be able to get a job in the film or gaming intustry. I should have mentioned that I'm still 17 years old and I'm still looking which path of 3D to follow..

09 September 2012
Ok. I understand now what you mean by standalone.

People I know that did this as a hobby and went on to work for tv/film studios first produced their own original short film. Just 10 minutes long. And it was so good, they got job offers. They had to quickly learn other programs because no two studios use the same software or have the same pipeline. They were hired more because of their raw talent than because of the certain type of software they used.

Nowdays, it helps to know someone already in the business. And jobs are mostly contract. So you want to work with a studio that has lots of projects going on so you are kept busy.

Do you read 3D World mag or 3D Artist mag? They often report on what studios are using talent and software-wise. Do you want to be involved in all aspects of CG? Or is there a small niche you're interested in filling?

ADDED:
I'm looking at your gallery here. You need to start filling it up.

Last edited by ShawnDriscoll : 09 September 2012 at 05:14 AM.

09 September 2012
I started reading 3D Artist a month ago. As for my gallery I am making some big changes in my website where I will publish it next week. Here the pixel limits are just too small to upload the pictures.

Quote: Do you want to be involved in all aspects of CG? Or is there a small niche you're interested in filling?

This is what I'm searching..I don't want to be CG Generalist but I'm not sure either if I want to be an Environment artist or something else..I love working on Vue but I cannot find any practical use of it on the Film and Gaming industries. That's my point.

09 September 2012
Well, I started outdoor scene rendering using Vistapro and then Bryce and now Vue. I think I used Terragen a few times. But it was just a time killer for me when I felt like creating something.

But now, for some reason, I am really interested in matte painting. First is was the camera match moving that interested me. Adding CG to AVI footage, etc. But now I'm interested in erasing entire backgrounds from AVI footage and using Vue to re-create different backgrounds for them.

Do you have a video editor? That's what triggered my interest more in doing environment scenes, once I spent the time to learn mixing video tracks.

09 September 2012
I'm using Adobe After Effects but I don't preety like compositing much. I mostly enjoy doing still images of environments and even videos with these environments in the future. I added some images on my site here

09 September 2012
To get a job now a days is quiet easy...u might have to preface Job as "Unpaid" or "Voluntary". Now a days you need "Buzzzz". Your idea needs to create buzz so u can generate traffic to where ever. If you can create Buzzz you will probably get hired. You might have to do it free first... I remember way back when these two guys created Buuzzz with a plane lading on their jeep LINK. The video was replayed over and over on every news channel. Create your own way.

09 September 2012
Go to art school if possible.

Originally Posted by mastertsif: This is what I'm searching..I don't want to be CG Generalist but I'm not sure either if I want to be an Environment artist or something else..I love working on Vue but I cannot find any practical use of it on the Film and Gaming industries. That's my point.

Since you are young, you live in an ancient city with great history of art, go to art school and really learn the craft (if this is possible) -- Learn the old fashion way with pencil, paint and clay. Don't worry too much about the software -- that's for the birds. They come and go...

Also immerse yourself in photography (and video if you want to animate) -- The first thing you need to learn, before learning software is to learn how to REALLY see. The beauty for you is that you are young, and it is not too late... (In a few years it might be too late!)

Remember -- 2000 years ago being a Greek national almost was a synonym of being an artist!

The jobs will come when you get really good, don't worry about that. You will become the "rain maker" for business people and they will pay you very well for your eyes. All you have to do is to make the cash register ring...

09 September 2012
Thanks for the advices! I really appreciate it.

09 September 2012
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread