Help Defining Perspective

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

04 April 2005
Help Defining Perspective

Hey all I feel at times I have a little trouble defining perspective of real life situations. So i wondered if i could get some help from you guys out there to see what you think. I got this pic from www.macdesktops.com I think its a 2point perspective feel free to leave your opions on what you feel the perspective is in the shot or create some guide lines in photoshop to help me understand thanx for your help

credit for the photo goes to Dirk Schober from www.macdesktops.com
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSchicago640x480.jpg (87.9 KB, 52 views)

Last edited by Kansai : 04 April 2005 at 01:13 AM.

04 April 2005
Well its 3 point cause the camera angle is lower then the tops of the buildings.
Perspective and its rules are really simple, they are an aproximation as no line is visualually straight, they are all curved but to draw them we use a ruler and a set of simple rules. These rules you can find in any book or on the web (google).

What exactly are your problems with perspective? Maybe we can help you out better if we know what they are.

04 April 2005
Yep, 3 point perspective. Look at the buildings on the sides, and you see they lean inward. Eventually they would meet at a point in space far above.

What might be confusing you is that things have to be running parallel to use the same vanishing point. For example, the buildings are assumed to be all going straight up, so they will all share the same vanishing point above. The buildings on the left are all parallel to each other running down the street, and so appear to shoot for the same vanishing points there too. However, the building on the right (Chicago Sun Times) is across some water, and could very well not be "square" to the other street. It looks to me like it uses it's own vanishing points. I wish I had a different way to explain this so it made sense, but I'm afraid I'm probably not being very clear.

04 April 2005
To define the perspective points, there MUST be straight lines, like the central and left buildings tops. Then you simply continue drawing them infinitely (theoretically) or until it meets the horizon. These are the points for lines that are parallel to the ground/horizon.
For fish-eyes scene, you can have 3 or 4 points. Just draw the vertical lines until they meet each other.

This scene has 3: 1 up and 2 in the horizon

04 April 2005
Camera lens distortion will also cause anomalies when it comes to trying to define vanishing points from photographs.

04 April 2005
Hey all thanx for the replies. But I did a little photoshop work in hopes to show you all what I thought was th correct perspective. see attached image
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSchicago640x4802.jpg (90.3 KB, 47 views)

04 April 2005
The line that goes to the right is really VERY discrepant to the real building edge! The vanishing point is thus much further to the right.

04 April 2005
Originally Posted by DrFx: The line that goes to the right is really VERY discrepant to the real building edge! The vanishing point is thus much further to the right.

Or the horizon line (as drawn) is too low. But I think Kansai gets the idea. Now any horizontal line that your draw should start at a point in space and, if extended far enough, will connect with one of the two vanishing points. Horizontal lines above the horizon line will slope downward toward the vanishing point and horizontal lines below the horizon will slope upward.
Hope that makes sense.

04 April 2005
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread