Old 03-12-2013, 02:46 AM   #1
Varto
PRO
portfolio
Julian
Justice league
Capital federal, Argentina

Transparent object´s shadow problem using mental ray lighting

Hey guys, i was working on a scene on maya 2013 that uses mental ray shadows and the transparency of an object looks weird, as if it were not transparent at all. Take a look:

upload pic
The right page is actually the same color than the left one, but it looks like that because there is a transparent page right over it, proyecting it´s shadow.
I tryed using a .png but i saw on another forum that png files are just not good for mental ray. I tryed using a mental ray material but it looked with even less transparency. I did tilted the "Alpha is luminance" tag on color balance. I also drop the shadow attenuation to 0, but still nothing. Last, i used a tiff file for the opacity but still didn´t get the result i wanted. By the way, every object has an ambient occlusion material assigned to it´s ambient color, but i tryed not using it and still looked like in the picture.
Any ideas or something i did wrong or anything?

Old 03-12-2013, 03:10 AM   #2
Panupat
Expert

portfolio
Panupat Chong
Thailand

Try plug the alpha to cutout opacity slot and make sure to use ray trace shadows.

Old 03-12-2013, 04:49 AM   #3
VB2341
Frequenter
portfolio
Varun Bajaj
Troy, US

I'm not entirely sure here, but I once had a similar issue. PNGs may be an issue because (IIRC) when you load a png as a texture (especially one with transparent parts in it), sometimes Maya automatically makes a connection to the transparency channel of the material, which would naturally override the transparency settings you're trying to give the material.

Does the material you're using for the transparent page have specularity or reflectivity? If so, turn them all the way to 0. Some things in mental ray try to be energy conserving, so if there is anything that causes light to deflect/scatter/be absorbed, shadows can be cast.

Old 03-12-2013, 02:10 PM   #4
Varto
PRO
portfolio
Julian
Justice league
Capital federal, Argentina

cutout opacity? where is that? i looked in hypershade for that value but couldn´t find it.
The material is a lambert, it has no specularity nor reflectivity. Although when i tryed with the mental ray material i did turn off those values (took them to 0)

Old 03-12-2013, 05:53 PM   #5
VanDerGoes
Hardgainer

portfolio
Paolo Mazzoccato
Fisheye Studio
Italy

When using mental ray avoid classic maya materials. You should use mia_material_x_passes mostly. Cutout opacity is in its advanced section.

Old 03-12-2013, 05:53 PM   #6
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread