Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 03-13-2012, 07:05 AM   #1
Russkiy
Mad Russian

portfolio
Bogdan
USA

How/Where should I start?

I realize that this sort of question has been asked lots of times... more than it probably should... hence why there are links in this sub-forum and many others with resources and links. However, a lot of those links are outdated and just the sheer amount is staggering. So, I'll just go ahead and ask for help and pray that I don't get bashed at for it, heh

My weakness has always been drawing characters. I can put together a fairly good environment (natural environment... man-made structures are my weakness as well), but when it comes to characters they would always end-up unnatural looking. I would use photos for reference (sometimes I would take photos of myself in the mirror) and my characters would come out great... but that's not the way to go, in my opinion... I need to learn how to free-hand and properly draw something without references... otherwise I'll be handy capped for the rest of my life with references.

As of right now, I'm not worried about facial expressions, perfect detail on hands or feet... I need to start with the core of the body itself and then I'll move to the individual elements. I want to learn how to properly draw a human in any pose (and then, of course, I'd be able to draw other humanoid beings). Where should I start?

I don't have a whole lot of money available at this time, so any free online source would be fantastic.

Once again, I apologize for beating the dead horse of question... but any help would be so greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

-BK

Old 03-25-2012, 07:12 PM   #2
Stahlberg
Lord of the posts

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Steven Stahlberg
Lead Artist
Streamline Studios
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

You have won half the battle in realizing 1. that you have a problem, 2, where your problem is roughly, and 3. that you need to train. Now to find the best way to train.

The best way is of course to draw from real live human beings. If you have no one who would model for you (even clothed), you could try drawing yourself in a full length mirror. Two full mirrors and you can draw yourself from almost any angle. Except the face of course. If that doesn't appeal, look for a Figure Drawing class locally, hopefully it's once a week at least.

Online is not so ideal, because you'll be dealing with photos. Photos are ok but not ideal. It all depends, if you want ideal training, or ok training. If you're ok with just ok, then fine, Google Image is your best friend for free stuff. (Now you're going to have to deal with some disgusting or annoying photos, that's the price you pay for 'free'.) Google gymnastics, bodybuilding, posing, dancing, wrestling, yoga, in fact pretty much any kind of sport or exercise.
You could also simply Google Figure Drawing, like below. But don't rely too much on other people's drawings, just use it once in a while for a change of pace and inspiration.
https://www.google.com/search?q=Fig...***T30gGq04jaBg

Old 05-05-2012, 06:09 AM   #3
vivanchenko
portfolio
Vadim Ivanchenko
Kiev, Ukraine

Another thing to do is to study anatomy. Just key things, you do not have to memorize every spine bone, but you hardly will ever be able to draw without a reference without learning proportions and shape of key body parts such as scull, rib cage, pelvis, legs, arms, hands, feet, joints and key groups of muscles. I also found it very useful to draw leg and arm bones as parallelepipeds rather then cylinders. This helps to prevent them from looking unnaturally twisted. Learning anatomy will allow you to actually construct your character the way you want with great results. Also, google for something like " Vilppu anatomy".

Another very important thing is to see your character very well and in as much detail as possible in your mind's eye before you even start to block it out on paper.

Last edited by vivanchenko : 05-05-2012 at 06:14 AM.

Old 05-09-2012, 02:30 PM   #4
arkos78
Francisco Silva
Aachen, DE

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivanchenko
Another very important thing is to see your character very well and in as much detail as possible in your mind's eye before you even start to block it out on paper.

Any tips on developing the mindīs eye, the problem that i have is that i have studied anatomy and drawn lots from ref. but still Iīm struggling with constructing a figure.

Old 05-09-2012, 02:31 PM   #5
arkos78
Francisco Silva
Aachen, DE

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivanchenko

Any tips on developing the mindīs eye, the problem that i have is that i have studied anatomy and drawn lots from ref. but still Iīm struggling with constructing a figure.

Old 09-12-2012, 05:23 PM   #6
ducasse
nothing

well is hard to start but.

is common when u self learn... i had the same problem, and the thing i really help me is a go to class of human figure, with real model. if you cant access to that, ask to your girlfriend o friends and start with charcoal, u need to make 1 min. poses and do 10 o15 draws per sesion. try to draw in circles or cigotos. and with your finger apply the shadows..in 2 or 3 months, easy you will be good.

Old 09-12-2012, 05:23 PM   #7
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread