Old 02-02-2013, 07:59 PM   #1
sonarburn
portfolio
Nathanael Dodge
CG Artist
FRAMEWORK
Los Angeles, USA

Maya CPU to use all RAM

While rendering on a quad core processor and 32Gbs of RAM my task manager will always say I use at most 4.87 Gbs of RAM but 100% of my CPU. For Maya 2013 I was hoping there would be a way to make each core use more RAM for the processing power.
So far the settings in batch render I can tell it to use all cores and 24 Gbs of RAM but Maya apparently only uses what it wants to and doesn't grab all the help it can get from the RAM. My understanding was that a single core could use it's own 4 Gbs of RAM. So the 8 cores would be able to use 32Gbs. Yet all the boards I've gone through no one has a clear way of making all the RAM work in Maya rendering.
I'm only looking for helpful advice on plugins or other ways to use the full capacity of my computer with Maya. Please no responses like, "It just doesn't work". "There's no way to do that", etc.
The Autodesk forums are severally lacking when it comes to help so hopefully something better will come of this thread.

Old 02-02-2013, 08:14 PM   #2
CHRiTTeR
On the run!

Chris
Graphic designer extraordinaire
Belgium

If you're scene is only 4gb in size, then thats basicly all the memory you need.

There are some things you can do depending on which renderer you are using.
For example, i know that in vray you can change the raycaster parameters, but thats quite advanced and should better be left at default values if you dont know what you're doing. Its also verry scene dependent.

Old 02-02-2013, 11:09 PM   #3
conbom
Expert
portfolio
ET
United Kingdom

Surely adding extra ram wont make any difference unless your scene needs it? The bottleneck is also likely going to be the CPU on a render not the disks, if your disks are getting thrashed get an SSD which will make the latency negligible.

Also unless i'm missing somthing the amount of ram a CPU can access is dependent on its addressing. 64 Bit CPU's should be able to access way more than 4GB. The 4GB limitation is due to a theoretical maximum amount of unique address that can be addressed with a 32 Bit architecture. A "bit" is a unit of space. To point to a space in memory requires space to hold the address.

Last edited by conbom : 02-02-2013 at 11:17 PM.

Old 02-03-2013, 12:09 AM   #4
hypercube
frontier psychiatrist

portfolio
Daryl Bartley
vfx goon / gfx ho
hypercube
Los Angeles, USA

Yeah I think you're getting actual ram usage vs. usable ram mixed up.

Do a more complex scene, it'll use more ram. Just because it's not using up all your ram doesn't mean you're not getting the most out of it.

As long as your CPU is maxed out on all threads, then you're getting full use of resources.

Old 02-03-2013, 01:47 AM   #5
darthviper107
Expert

portfolio
Zachary Brackin
3D Artist
Precocity LLC
Dallas, USA

Yep, it only uses the amount of RAM it needs, it's just temporary storage for what you're rendering, using more of it won't make anything faster, in fact it would probably be slower since it would have to move more data.

Old 02-03-2013, 03:02 AM   #6
sentry66
Expert

portfolio
node crazy
USA

More cores don't use more ram in 3D animation programs when rendering. If they do, it's negligible. All cores are working on a single frame in parallel.

For video or composting programs such as Adobe After Effects, more cores will use more ram because each core will crunch on different frames of the composition.

Thread Closed share thread